Dust 514 would be difficult to do on Xbox Live says CCP
The developer behind the PS3 exclusive online shooter Dust 514 has said that doing the game on the Xbox would have been more problematic than it has been on the PS3.
Dust 514 will tie in with CCP's other big property PC MMO EVE Online and also offer some functionality with the PlayStation Vita and CCP has attributed their choice to make it a PS3 exclusive to Sony's more open approach to publishers with online games.
Dust's producer Thomas Farrer explained: "Most of Dust is running on our own technology, it's running on our own super-computer. And Sony is a lot more... open, shall we say, to allowing you to do those things. It may seem silly, but on Xbox Live your identity is your Xbox Live identity. In the EVE universe, having people not know who you are is quite important."
He added: "I don't think it's about saying we "couldn't" do it. I think some of the challenges we'd meet would be tricky. It's nice to work on one platform rather than two, because it means you don't have to make any awkward compromises, technically."
Dust 514 will be out on PS3 next spring.
Thanks Rock, Paper, Shotgun.
- Peter Molyneux: “There is a brilliant game there in Godus that is going to bring people together”
- FIFA Ultimate Team cheaters be warned EA Sports is coming for you
- #welovegamedevs Twitter campaign appears as an antidote to this week's unpleasantness
- No branching narratives for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
- Spa hotlap video arrives for F1 2014
- Phil Fish puts Polytron and Fez up for sale and quits Twitter after multiple hacks
- The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter gets a PC release date
- Sony schedules PSN maintenance for Monday
- Warframe update 14 hits PS4 as it closes in on 10 million registered users