Dust 514 would be difficult to do on Xbox Live says CCP
The developer behind the PS3 exclusive online shooter Dust 514 has said that doing the game on the Xbox would have been more problematic than it has been on the PS3.
Dust 514 will tie in with CCP's other big property PC MMO EVE Online and also offer some functionality with the PlayStation Vita and CCP has attributed their choice to make it a PS3 exclusive to Sony's more open approach to publishers with online games.
Dust's producer Thomas Farrer explained: "Most of Dust is running on our own technology, it's running on our own super-computer. And Sony is a lot more... open, shall we say, to allowing you to do those things. It may seem silly, but on Xbox Live your identity is your Xbox Live identity. In the EVE universe, having people not know who you are is quite important."
He added: "I don't think it's about saying we "couldn't" do it. I think some of the challenges we'd meet would be tricky. It's nice to work on one platform rather than two, because it means you don't have to make any awkward compromises, technically."
Dust 514 will be out on PS3 next spring.
Thanks Rock, Paper, Shotgun.
- Darth Revan to make a return in Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Quake Live arrives on Steam
- Survivor mode to bring lots of extra content for Alien: Isolation
- Microsoft to release a special version of the Xbox One controller for PC
- Don't be fooled by the violins and sunflowers, The Evil Within's TGS trailer is scary
- 2K Games revives the NHL 2K franchise for mobiles
- Sledgehammer bringing a touch of Dead Space's immersive design to Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare
- 343 on the absence of Halo 3: ODST and Halo: Reach from the Master Chief Collection: We ran out of disc space
- Latest PS3 update for Minecraft adds save transfer to PS4 support, Vita version still in testing