Dust 514 would be difficult to do on Xbox Live says CCP
The developer behind the PS3 exclusive online shooter Dust 514 has said that doing the game on the Xbox would have been more problematic than it has been on the PS3.
Dust 514 will tie in with CCP's other big property PC MMO EVE Online and also offer some functionality with the PlayStation Vita and CCP has attributed their choice to make it a PS3 exclusive to Sony's more open approach to publishers with online games.
Dust's producer Thomas Farrer explained: "Most of Dust is running on our own technology, it's running on our own super-computer. And Sony is a lot more... open, shall we say, to allowing you to do those things. It may seem silly, but on Xbox Live your identity is your Xbox Live identity. In the EVE universe, having people not know who you are is quite important."
He added: "I don't think it's about saying we "couldn't" do it. I think some of the challenges we'd meet would be tricky. It's nice to work on one platform rather than two, because it means you don't have to make any awkward compromises, technically."
Dust 514 will be out on PS3 next spring.
Thanks Rock, Paper, Shotgun.
- Thomas Was Alone gets a release date for PS4 and Wii U
- New Warframe update adds space-flight to the gameplay with Archwing mode
- New poll indicates that people believe online gaming is “the least welcoming space” for women
- CD Projekt RED releases The Trail, the opening cinematic from The Witcher 3
- New Project CARS trailer pulls up to the starting grid
- Far Cry 4 dev says linear games will suffer in the new world of gameplay video sharing
- Almost 1,100 developers, students and journalists sign the new #gamediversity petition embracing diversity in games
- Felicia Day breaks her silence about #Gamergate, is almost immediately doxxed
- Ubisoft announces PC specs for Assassin's Creed: Unity and they're killer