Dust 514 would be difficult to do on Xbox Live says CCP
The developer behind the PS3 exclusive online shooter Dust 514 has said that doing the game on the Xbox would have been more problematic than it has been on the PS3.
Dust 514 will tie in with CCP's other big property PC MMO EVE Online and also offer some functionality with the PlayStation Vita and CCP has attributed their choice to make it a PS3 exclusive to Sony's more open approach to publishers with online games.
Dust's producer Thomas Farrer explained: "Most of Dust is running on our own technology, it's running on our own super-computer. And Sony is a lot more... open, shall we say, to allowing you to do those things. It may seem silly, but on Xbox Live your identity is your Xbox Live identity. In the EVE universe, having people not know who you are is quite important."
He added: "I don't think it's about saying we "couldn't" do it. I think some of the challenges we'd meet would be tricky. It's nice to work on one platform rather than two, because it means you don't have to make any awkward compromises, technically."
Dust 514 will be out on PS3 next spring.
Thanks Rock, Paper, Shotgun.
- Hatred returns to Steam Greenlight
- Work on a Lords Of The Fallen sequel is under way
- The latest patch for Assassin's Creed: Unity is a whopper, especially for some on Xbox One
- Microsoft is planning a streaming service reportedly called Arcadia
- Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3 in development, aiming for a 2016 release
- Jagex to pull the plug on Transformers Universe
- One of Johnny Gat's new toys from Saints Row: Gat Out Of Hell takes a tour of London
- Free trial of Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn arrives on the PS4
- Batman Of The Future character pack arrives for LEGO Batman 3