Duke Nukem Forever goes gold and finally becomes a reality
Duke Nukem fans can breathe a big sigh of relief as 2K Games has confirmed that Duke Nukem Forever has gone gold.
After spending 15 years in development and eventually causing the closure of its original developer 3D Realms, Gearbox picked up Duke Nukem Forever and painstakingly resurrected the title in order to have it ready for release this summer.
The game's creator George Broussard said: "Duke Nukem Forever and its journey to store shelves is legendary. It's an epic tale of four game development studios that banded together and did the unthinkable and shipped the unshippable. When you play this game you will be reminded of that epic journey at every turn and in every small detail of the game. The character, attitude, interactivity, gameplay and political incorrectness combine to make a Duke Nukem game a unique gaming experience. In the timeless words of Duke Nukem it's finally time to 'Come Get Some'. Come be a part of gaming history."
Gearbox boss, Randy Pitchford added: "Always bet on Duke, I did. I bet on all of the developers who have ever been a part of this legendary project and I bet that none of us want to live in a world without the Duke. I've played the final game and it is an incredible experience a once-in-a-lifetime opus of interactive entertainment that reminds me once again why Duke Nukem is our King. The developers of Duke Nukem Forever at 3D Realms, Triptych, Piranha and finally at Gearbox deserve our thanks and respect for never giving up and have truly shown us that they have balls of steel!"
Duke Nukem Forever is due for release on PS3, Xbox 360 and PC in Europe on June the 10th with the North American release following on June the 14th.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3