Atari puts MMO studio Cryptic up for sale
Cryptic Studios, the team behind Star Trek Online and Champions Online, is to be put up for sale Atari has announced.
The sale is not to have an effect on Cryptic's existing titles and they will also continue to develop the new Neverwinter title for Atari as well.
Atari stated: "In line with the previously stated strategy of fewer but more profitable releases and further expansion into casual online and mobile games, the Company has determined that external development creates more flexibility in the changing marketplace."
Since Atari picked up Cryptic back in 2008 the studio's losses have been narrowing down to 7.5 million USD but they haven't narrowed quickly enough to warrant Atari holding on to the developer. This has been exacerbated by the lukewarm reception that Star Trek Online received when it launched.
- New Overwatch videos show off Hanzo and McCree
- Tychus loses his cigar for his appearance in Heroes Of The Storm
- Capcom details the Ultra Street Fighter IV PS4 upgrades
- Codemasters releases a teaser for F1 2015
- Total War: Arena gameplay unveiled
- Warner Bros bringing Batman's cowl and cape from Batman: Arkham Knight to MCM Comic-Con this weekend
- Red Thread gives an update on Dreamfall Chapters Book Three
- Sony releases a pretty 1080p gameplay video of God Of War III on PS4
- Techland shelves Hellraid to focus on Dying Light