Atari puts MMO studio Cryptic up for sale
Cryptic Studios, the team behind Star Trek Online and Champions Online, is to be put up for sale Atari has announced.
The sale is not to have an effect on Cryptic's existing titles and they will also continue to develop the new Neverwinter title for Atari as well.
Atari stated: "In line with the previously stated strategy of fewer but more profitable releases and further expansion into casual online and mobile games, the Company has determined that external development creates more flexibility in the changing marketplace."
Since Atari picked up Cryptic back in 2008 the studio's losses have been narrowing down to 7.5 million USD but they haven't narrowed quickly enough to warrant Atari holding on to the developer. This has been exacerbated by the lukewarm reception that Star Trek Online received when it launched.
- Watch Bungie play Destiny's new Prison Of Elders mode live here tomorrow
- Fan remake of Half-Life, Black Mesa arrives on Steam Early Access
- Microsoft's acquisition of Minecraft devs Mojang was motivated by Hololens
- id Software wanted to pay modders for their work back in 1995 says John Romero
- Jason Voorhees arrives as DLC for Mortal Kombat X and he's all about the machete
- Project CARS finally pulls up to the starting grid
- Shadow Of Mordor: Game Of The Year Edition hits retail this week
- Wolfenstein: The Old Blood arrives today
- Bungie and CCP run their own campaigns to aid the earthquake survivors of Nepal