Atari puts MMO studio Cryptic up for sale
Cryptic Studios, the team behind Star Trek Online and Champions Online, is to be put up for sale Atari has announced.
The sale is not to have an effect on Cryptic's existing titles and they will also continue to develop the new Neverwinter title for Atari as well.
Atari stated: "In line with the previously stated strategy of fewer but more profitable releases and further expansion into casual online and mobile games, the Company has determined that external development creates more flexibility in the changing marketplace."
Since Atari picked up Cryptic back in 2008 the studio's losses have been narrowing down to 7.5 million USD but they haven't narrowed quickly enough to warrant Atari holding on to the developer. This has been exacerbated by the lukewarm reception that Star Trek Online received when it launched.
- Don't be fooled by the violins and sunflowers, The Evil Within's TGS trailer is scary
- 2K Games revives the NHL 2K franchise for mobiles
- Sledgehammer bringing a touch of Dead Space's immersive design to Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare
- 343 on the absence of Halo 3: ODST and Halo: Reach from the Master Chief Collection: We ran out of disc space
- Latest PS3 update for Minecraft adds save transfer to PS4 support, Vita version still in testing
- Resident Evil: Revelations 2 may be coming to the PS Vita
- Destiny gets its first raid today, the Vault Of Glass
- Assassin's Creed: Unity co-op trailer arrives
- Lukewarm Destiny reviews could cost Bungie 2.5 million USD