Lanning: EA sabotaged Stranger's Wrath with poor marketing
Oddworld creator Lorne Lanning has hit out at EA over the way they handled the distribution and marketing of Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath.
Lanning stated just how proud they were of Stranger's Wrath and how disappointed they were with the "crappy" marketing budget exposure the game received from EA.
He said: "Stranger was a major achievement. I'm thrilled EA did such a crappy job distributing it back in the day. It's a title that hasn't been exposed to the world. My personal feeling is Stranger was the best game we ever made. It was sabotaged. When you see a big game coming out, just ask what the marketing budget is. If you decide as a publisher not to give it a marketing budget, you decide its fate. As soon as we understood there was no marketing budget, we had zero expectations. We had zero incentive to build another game for them, either."
Lanning added: "In the case of Stranger, it didn't perform because it wasn't exposed and it wasn't distributed and there wasn't the number of factors that go to what you need to have success on the shelf today as a boxed product."
- Visuals are key to the PS4's success according to Nielsen's latest survey
- Sledgehammer considering revisiting classic multiplayer maps for Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare
- New ToeJam & Earl game comes to Kickstarter
- Free login campaign announced as Final Fantasy XIV tops 4 million registered users
- Fable Legends will be free-to-play on both PC and Xbox One
- Bastion will hit the PS4 in April
- Sierra bringing Velocity 2X to Xbox One and PC
- This month is a triple-A bonanza for Xbox gamers on Games With Gold
- New House Of Wolves leak shows a Reef social hub for Destiny