Lanning: EA sabotaged Stranger's Wrath with poor marketing
Oddworld creator Lorne Lanning has hit out at EA over the way they handled the distribution and marketing of Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath.
Lanning stated just how proud they were of Stranger's Wrath and how disappointed they were with the "crappy" marketing budget exposure the game received from EA.
He said: "Stranger was a major achievement. I'm thrilled EA did such a crappy job distributing it back in the day. It's a title that hasn't been exposed to the world. My personal feeling is Stranger was the best game we ever made. It was sabotaged. When you see a big game coming out, just ask what the marketing budget is. If you decide as a publisher not to give it a marketing budget, you decide its fate. As soon as we understood there was no marketing budget, we had zero expectations. We had zero incentive to build another game for them, either."
Lanning added: "In the case of Stranger, it didn't perform because it wasn't exposed and it wasn't distributed and there wasn't the number of factors that go to what you need to have success on the shelf today as a boxed product."
- Harmonix announces A City Sleeps, their new music-driven shooter
- Shadow Of Mordor trailer introduces the unique orc character, Ratbag
- Saints Row IV coming to next-gen consoles
- Saints Row: Gat Out Of Hell is a new standalone expansion
- First details of Telltale's Game Of Thrones series arrive
- SEGA unveils the new definitive Total War: Rome II – Emperor Edition
- Prison Architect alpha build 24 arrives
- Bayonetta 2 gets a final release date
- Deep Down now delayed until 2015