Free version of the CryEngine 3 SDK coming this summer
Crytek has announced that they will be launching a free-to-use version of the CryEngine 3 SDK, the engine behind Crysis 2, later this year.
The free SDK is aimed at the PC's thriving community of modders and enthusiasts to play around with for non-commercial purposes and it will be available in August of this year.
Crytek boss Cervat Yerli said: "In recent times our focus has been heavily on the development of Crysis 2, however our modding community has been, and remains, very important to us. In August 2011 we will be launching a free CryEngine SDK. If you want to use it for fun, like all our previous MOD SDKs it will be completely free of charge, to anyone who wants to play with it."
He added: "We'll be giving you access to the latest, greatest version of CryEngine 3 - the same engine we use internally, the same engine we give to our licensees, the same engine that powers Crysis 2.This will be a complete version of our engine, including C++ code access, our content exporters (including our LiveCreate real-time pipeline), shader code, game sample code from Crysis 2, script samples, new improved Flowgraph and a whole host of great asset examples, which will allow teams to build complete games from scratch for PC. We'll update the Free CryEngine SDK regularly, to make sure you have access to all the advances we make to CryEngine 3."
Thanks Develop Online.
- Bungie explains their latest weapon balancing efforts in Destiny, promises more is coming
- Blizzard aiming to release Hearthstone on Android tablets by the end of the year
- Former BioWare man Casey Hudson hints at an Oculus Rift project
- Dark Souls on PC to switch from Games For Windows Live to Steam next month
- Square Enix announces details and pricing on the premium livestream of Final Fantasy XIV Fan Festival 2014
- First Challenge Mode DLC arrives next week for Alien: Isolation
- Metallica to close out this year's BlizzCon
- Free DLC adds a new skin and runes to Shadow Of Mordor
- ESL Gaming app arrives for the Xbox One