Expect no new consoles from Microsoft and Sony until 2014
Apparently Microsoft and Sony and communicating with each other behind the scenes in order to co-ordinate an extension to the life of the current generation of console hardware.
Both analysts and industry insiders have all pointed to Sony and Microsoft not planning new hardware until 2013 at the very earliest, a full eight years after Microsoft kicked off this generation with the Xbox 360.
One first-party insider told Kotaku: "Both MS and Sony are telegraphing to each other that they're delaying, to milk the current [generation] and fill in previous craters better."
Perennial analytical mouthpiece Michael Pachter speculates: "I don't think either Sony or Microsoft are interested in a new console till they can advance the technology, and they certainly don't want to launch at a 600 USD price point. It may take till 2014 to get 2TB hard drives, uber-fast CPUs and state-of-the art graphics and sell at 400 USD."
- Ultra Street Fighter IV coming to PS4 at the end of May
- Ubisoft to publish Homeworld Remastered Collection at retail next month
- Journey, Flower and FlOw heading to the PS4 in a retail package
- Phil Harrison's departure from Microsoft has been confirmed
- Here's the first look at Star Wars: Battlefront
- Project CARS will feature 110 courses across over 30 iconic locations
- Gratuitous Space Battles 2 arrives today
- First Star Wars: Battlefront details arrive including a release date
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt's release date is now set in stone