PS4 not due any time soon
Speaking at an analyst day Sony has confirmed that they are still very much committed to a ten year life span for the PS3 and will not be releasing any new home hardware any time soon.
The news was no real surprise for the analysts but one in particular, Lazard Capital's Colin Sebastian, noted that this may open up new opportunities for emerging platforms to make their mark.
Sebastian began: "Management remains confident in the 10-year console lifecycle no PS4 anytime soon. While no time frames were mentioned explicitly regarding a console refresh cycle, management indicated that there is little reason to expect a deviation in the '10' year console cycle."
He added: "We think this might, over the duration of the remaining life of the PS3, provide a window of opportunity for new gaming platforms such as an Apple TV, which could simply utilize an SDK and App Store to deliver games to television sets. The next generation Apple TV, will in our view, likely feature the same hardware and software improvements that accompanied the iPad 2, which include a dual core processor and a 9x improvement in GPU performance."
- Hazelight to use the Unreal Engine 4 for their first game
- 343 Industries to offer Halo: ODST remastered campaign to apologise for Halo: The Master Chief Collection multiplayer problems
- Court rules that lawsuit against Sony over Killzone: Shadow Fall's 1080p claims
- Capcom using Unreal Engine 4 for Street Fighter V
- Valve's Chet Faliszek has been confirmed as the first developer session for EGX Rezzed 2015
- One area from Zelda Wii U is as big as the entirety of Skyward Sword
- Telltale's new collaboration is with Mojang, on a Minecraft story game
- Franklin voice actor indicates GTA V story DLC is on the way
- Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire and Bully sequels will come when the time is right says Rockstar