PS4 not due any time soon
Speaking at an analyst day Sony has confirmed that they are still very much committed to a ten year life span for the PS3 and will not be releasing any new home hardware any time soon.
The news was no real surprise for the analysts but one in particular, Lazard Capital's Colin Sebastian, noted that this may open up new opportunities for emerging platforms to make their mark.
Sebastian began: "Management remains confident in the 10-year console lifecycle no PS4 anytime soon. While no time frames were mentioned explicitly regarding a console refresh cycle, management indicated that there is little reason to expect a deviation in the '10' year console cycle."
He added: "We think this might, over the duration of the remaining life of the PS3, provide a window of opportunity for new gaming platforms such as an Apple TV, which could simply utilize an SDK and App Store to deliver games to television sets. The next generation Apple TV, will in our view, likely feature the same hardware and software improvements that accompanied the iPad 2, which include a dual core processor and a 9x improvement in GPU performance."
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3