DICE labels most sandbox games boring
Battlefield developer DICE has been discussing the old sandbox versus scripting argument.
Executive producer of Battlefield 3, Patrick Bach explained that the new shooter has taken a scripted approach to the single player modes as most sandbox games are "hardcore, boring and hard to get into".
Bach said: "I don't see it as an absolute goal for all games to be sandbox games. We've been building sandbox games for quite some time and we've got pretty good at it, but I don't see that as the only way of building games, because then we wouldn't build campaigns at all."
He clarified this by adding: "In some cases they aren't, but in most cases sandbox games are hardcore, boring, hard to get into and they are not very popular."
- Harmonix announces A City Sleeps, their new music-driven shooter
- Shadow Of Mordor trailer introduces the unique orc character, Ratbag
- Saints Row IV coming to next-gen consoles
- Saints Row: Gat Out Of Hell is a new standalone expansion
- First details of Telltale's Game Of Thrones series arrive
- SEGA unveils the new definitive Total War: Rome II – Emperor Edition
- Prison Architect alpha build 24 arrives
- Bayonetta 2 gets a final release date
- Deep Down now delayed until 2015