DICE labels most sandbox games boring
Battlefield developer DICE has been discussing the old sandbox versus scripting argument.
Executive producer of Battlefield 3, Patrick Bach explained that the new shooter has taken a scripted approach to the single player modes as most sandbox games are "hardcore, boring and hard to get into".
Bach said: "I don't see it as an absolute goal for all games to be sandbox games. We've been building sandbox games for quite some time and we've got pretty good at it, but I don't see that as the only way of building games, because then we wouldn't build campaigns at all."
He clarified this by adding: "In some cases they aren't, but in most cases sandbox games are hardcore, boring, hard to get into and they are not very popular."
- Next week's Destiny events detailed
- Swery65's D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die is out now on Xbox One
- Silent Hills could be an episodic title
- Thomas Was Alone is making the jump to the PS4
- Destiny helps give the PS4 a 300 percent sales kick
- New Yakuza 0 trailer shows off 1980s Japan
- Bloodborne's Western release date has been confirmed
- Classic WWII RTS action returns with Blitzkrieg 3
- Tetsuya Nomura leaves Final Fantasy XV to concentrate of Kingdom Hearts III