DICE labels most sandbox games boring
Battlefield developer DICE has been discussing the old sandbox versus scripting argument.
Executive producer of Battlefield 3, Patrick Bach explained that the new shooter has taken a scripted approach to the single player modes as most sandbox games are "hardcore, boring and hard to get into".
Bach said: "I don't see it as an absolute goal for all games to be sandbox games. We've been building sandbox games for quite some time and we've got pretty good at it, but I don't see that as the only way of building games, because then we wouldn't build campaigns at all."
He clarified this by adding: "In some cases they aren't, but in most cases sandbox games are hardcore, boring, hard to get into and they are not very popular."
- Underworld Ascendant makes its Kickstarter goal with room to spare
- Rare is 30, has something special coming in recognition of the anniversary
- Destiny will get one more update before House Of Wolves arrives
- Warner Bros to bring DC MOBA Infinite Crisis to Steam
- Gabe Newell: No-one gets motion-sick with the Vive VR headset
- NPCs can now be mugged in The Elder Scrolls Online
- Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander passes Square Enix Collective and heads to Kickstarter
- Zombie Army Trilogy shambles onto PC and next-gen consoles
- Sony aiming to release Project Morpheus in 2016