DICE labels most sandbox games boring
Battlefield developer DICE has been discussing the old sandbox versus scripting argument.
Executive producer of Battlefield 3, Patrick Bach explained that the new shooter has taken a scripted approach to the single player modes as most sandbox games are "hardcore, boring and hard to get into".
Bach said: "I don't see it as an absolute goal for all games to be sandbox games. We've been building sandbox games for quite some time and we've got pretty good at it, but I don't see that as the only way of building games, because then we wouldn't build campaigns at all."
He clarified this by adding: "In some cases they aren't, but in most cases sandbox games are hardcore, boring, hard to get into and they are not very popular."
- Microsoft announces the feature list for the November Xbox One update
- EA Sports patches in some more missing features for the next-gen versions of NHL 15
- Blizzard begins rolling out a new patch for Starcraft II
- Far Cry 4 Season Pass details announced
- Shinji Mikami: I never use women as objects in my games
- Microsoft releases the first trailer for Halo: Nightfall TV series, first episode to premiere at Halo Fanfest
- Silence – The Whispered World 2 announced for Xbox One
- Titanfall to get its very own Horde mode called Frontier Defense
- John Riccitiello joins Unity as their new CEO