EA Play4Free boss brands 60 USD games as exploitative
The boss of EA's Easy Studios, the developer in charge of their Play4Free range of titles, Ben Cousins has branded 60 USD retail games as "exploitative".
In an interview talking about free-to-play games on Rock, Paper, Shotgun, Cousins made it very clear that he felt that the current retail boxed product model is pretty harsh on consumers.
He began: "I've been doing this for four years now, so it feels kind of normal to me - but I can't think of anything more exploitative than gating all of your content behind having to pay someone $60. That's a really harsh business model if you think about it objectively."
"What we do is enable everyone to play the game, and figure out if they like it," Cousins continued. "If they don't like it they can walk away and they don't lose anything. How many times have we all bought crappy games for $60, right? And the majority of people in our game spend less than that - the cost of a full-priced game."
He added that he believes that free-to-play titles played on open platforms like PC, Mac and Android tablets are the way of the future saying: "You are seeing that with HTML5, Unity, the Molehill version of Flash, these are 3D engines with high level features and hardware graphics support, and they will run on any of those platforms. I see the future being guys on PCs playing this stuff, but they will be playing with guys on Android Tablets and Mac Netbooks, etc, etc."
- Visuals are key to the PS4's success according to Nielsen's latest survey
- Sledgehammer considering revisiting classic multiplayer maps for Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare
- New ToeJam & Earl game comes to Kickstarter
- Free login campaign announced as Final Fantasy XIV tops 4 million registered users
- Fable Legends will be free-to-play on both PC and Xbox One
- Bastion will hit the PS4 in April
- Sierra bringing Velocity 2X to Xbox One and PC
- This month is a triple-A bonanza for Xbox gamers on Games With Gold
- New House Of Wolves leak shows a Reef social hub for Destiny