Only triple-A NGP titles will launch at retail and digitally at the same time
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe president Andrew House has been talking about their software release strategy for the NGP.
House explained that only the biggest releases like Call of Duty and Uncharted will be released digitally the same time as they hit retailers.
He began: "With NGP, digital is baked into the strategy behind the device. I think publishers will start to look at distribution methods depending on the size of the content. Clearly if you have large blockbuster gaming experiences, then downloading them is perhaps not the best experience, therefore having physical media is a great advantage."
"What we are saying is that all games that appear physically will be made available digitally. Not necessarily all games have to be made available physically. Having the option of a digital-only method affords more creative risk-taking, and that's because you don't have that risk of physical inventory associated with it," House added.
- Ultra Street Fighter IV coming to PS4 at the end of May
- Ubisoft to publish Homeworld Remastered Collection at retail next month
- Journey, Flower and FlOw heading to the PS4 in a retail package
- Phil Harrison's departure from Microsoft has been confirmed
- Here's the first look at Star Wars: Battlefront
- Project CARS will feature 110 courses across over 30 iconic locations
- Gratuitous Space Battles 2 arrives today
- First Star Wars: Battlefront details arrive including a release date
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt's release date is now set in stone