Only triple-A NGP titles will launch at retail and digitally at the same time
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe president Andrew House has been talking about their software release strategy for the NGP.
House explained that only the biggest releases like Call of Duty and Uncharted will be released digitally the same time as they hit retailers.
He began: "With NGP, digital is baked into the strategy behind the device. I think publishers will start to look at distribution methods depending on the size of the content. Clearly if you have large blockbuster gaming experiences, then downloading them is perhaps not the best experience, therefore having physical media is a great advantage."
"What we are saying is that all games that appear physically will be made available digitally. Not necessarily all games have to be made available physically. Having the option of a digital-only method affords more creative risk-taking, and that's because you don't have that risk of physical inventory associated with it," House added.
- Thomas Was Alone gets a release date for PS4 and Wii U
- New Warframe update adds space-flight to the gameplay with Archwing mode
- New poll indicates that people believe online gaming is “the least welcoming space” for women
- CD Projekt RED releases The Trail, the opening cinematic from The Witcher 3
- New Project CARS trailer pulls up to the starting grid
- Far Cry 4 dev says linear games will suffer in the new world of gameplay video sharing
- Almost 1,100 developers, students and journalists sign the new #gamediversity petition embracing diversity in games
- Felicia Day breaks her silence about #Gamergate, is almost immediately doxxed
- Ubisoft announces PC specs for Assassin's Creed: Unity and they're killer