Only triple-A NGP titles will launch at retail and digitally at the same time
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe president Andrew House has been talking about their software release strategy for the NGP.
House explained that only the biggest releases like Call of Duty and Uncharted will be released digitally the same time as they hit retailers.
He began: "With NGP, digital is baked into the strategy behind the device. I think publishers will start to look at distribution methods depending on the size of the content. Clearly if you have large blockbuster gaming experiences, then downloading them is perhaps not the best experience, therefore having physical media is a great advantage."
"What we are saying is that all games that appear physically will be made available digitally. Not necessarily all games have to be made available physically. Having the option of a digital-only method affords more creative risk-taking, and that's because you don't have that risk of physical inventory associated with it," House added.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3