Riccitiello: Battlefield 3 will be game of the year
EA's CEO John Riccitiello has voiced his complete confidence in the work DICE are doing in bringing Battlefield 3 to FPS gamer this year.
He told the crowd at this years Goldman Sachs Technology and Internet Conference that Battlefield 3 is the game that will allow them to take back their crown as the king of the FPS genre from Activision and Call of Duty.
Riccitielo said: "We think there's a window of opportunity here. We've been investing for three years to build Battlefield 3. I think it will stand up as the best product in the industry this year... and we're going dead at 'em."
He added a little sideways dig at Activision and their annual iterations of Call of Duty: "One of the problems with an annual franchise is you don't take the time to reengineer the underlying codebase so that it's as 'next-generation' as it can be."
Battlefield 3 is due out on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 later this year and given it uses DICE's new Frostbite 2 engine it looks a very impressive proposition especially with 64 player multiplayer on PC and 24 player multiplayer on consoles.
- Harmonix announces A City Sleeps, their new music-driven shooter
- Shadow Of Mordor trailer introduces the unique orc character, Ratbag
- Saints Row IV coming to next-gen consoles
- Saints Row: Gat Out Of Hell is a new standalone expansion
- First details of Telltale's Game Of Thrones series arrive
- SEGA unveils the new definitive Total War: Rome II – Emperor Edition
- Prison Architect alpha build 24 arrives
- Bayonetta 2 gets a final release date
- Deep Down now delayed until 2015