Riccitiello: Battlefield 3 will be game of the year
EA's CEO John Riccitiello has voiced his complete confidence in the work DICE are doing in bringing Battlefield 3 to FPS gamer this year.
He told the crowd at this years Goldman Sachs Technology and Internet Conference that Battlefield 3 is the game that will allow them to take back their crown as the king of the FPS genre from Activision and Call of Duty.
Riccitielo said: "We think there's a window of opportunity here. We've been investing for three years to build Battlefield 3. I think it will stand up as the best product in the industry this year... and we're going dead at 'em."
He added a little sideways dig at Activision and their annual iterations of Call of Duty: "One of the problems with an annual franchise is you don't take the time to reengineer the underlying codebase so that it's as 'next-generation' as it can be."
Battlefield 3 is due out on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 later this year and given it uses DICE's new Frostbite 2 engine it looks a very impressive proposition especially with 64 player multiplayer on PC and 24 player multiplayer on consoles.
- Classic PC survival horror series returns with Alone In The Dark: Illumination
- Resident Evil: Revelations 2 confirmed with a concept trailer
- Xbox One owners, Destiny wants to eat your hard drive
- Saints Row IV modding tools released for PC
- Volition's Steve Jaros: Sarkeesian was right to call out Saints Row
- Playable Silent Hill teaser P.T. downloaded 1 million times
- Blooborne gets a Japanese release date
- Rockstar says no delay to next-gen GTA V, November release date rumoured
- Harmonix announces A City Sleeps, their new music-driven shooter