Carmack: NGP and 3DS could be the last dedicated gaming handhelds
Technical boss at id Software, John Carmack, has raised doubts over the future for dedicated gaming handhelds in the world of smartphones.
Carmack reckons that with the rise of smartphones that the days of dedicated games handhelds could be numbered due to the convenience of having everything in one device.
The id tech supremo told Dallas News: "The smartphone may turn out to be 80 percent as good at gaming as a dedicated gaming platform. People are going to carry their smartphone, and if it's an 80 percent gaming device, how many people in the gaming market will be satisfied with that? Thats the question thats in everybodys mind, and I really don't know."
In reference to the potential end of dedicated portable gaming consoles he added: "If that's what the consumers are going to trend towards on there, there may not be much as developers we can do about that. You don't always get to build pyramids just because you want to."
- Harmonix announces A City Sleeps, their new music-driven shooter
- Shadow Of Mordor trailer introduces the unique orc character, Ratbag
- Saints Row IV coming to next-gen consoles
- Saints Row: Gat Out Of Hell is a new standalone expansion
- First details of Telltale's Game Of Thrones series arrive
- SEGA unveils the new definitive Total War: Rome II – Emperor Edition
- Prison Architect alpha build 24 arrives
- Bayonetta 2 gets a final release date
- Deep Down now delayed until 2015