Riccitiello predicts digital to pass retail in 2011
EA boss John Riccitiello has expressed the publisher's ultimate faith in the digital market is predicting that the digital market will surpass the retail market in 2011.
EA has already put a lot of its money into the digital basket by acquiring Facebook game developer PlayFish and mobile game publisher Chillingo as well as launching the browser-based Tiger Woods Online.
Riccitiello went so far as to suggest that digital will account for over 50 percent of the games market in 2011 despite no clear data on just how big the online market actually is.
He said: "At the end of , the digital business is bigger than the packaged goods business, full stop. I think that well find ways to even sell our packaged goods content in chunks and in pieces and subscriptions and micro-transactions."
Thanks Develop Online.
- The Behemoth teases their fourth game, it will be playable at PAX Prime
- Sins Of A Solar Empire devs Ironclad successfully defends their use word Rebellion in one of their game titles
- Just Cause devs Avalanche have some surprises planned for 2015
- LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham gets a new Braniac trailer
- Sledgehammer boss confirms no Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare for Wii U
- Xbox One getting a Reddit app
- Konami releases a hat-trick of new screens for PES 2015
- 500GB hard drive coming for the Xbox 360 soon
- Watch the standard edition of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt unboxed in 18 seconds flat