Riccitiello predicts digital to pass retail in 2011
EA boss John Riccitiello has expressed the publisher's ultimate faith in the digital market is predicting that the digital market will surpass the retail market in 2011.
EA has already put a lot of its money into the digital basket by acquiring Facebook game developer PlayFish and mobile game publisher Chillingo as well as launching the browser-based Tiger Woods Online.
Riccitiello went so far as to suggest that digital will account for over 50 percent of the games market in 2011 despite no clear data on just how big the online market actually is.
He said: "At the end of , the digital business is bigger than the packaged goods business, full stop. I think that well find ways to even sell our packaged goods content in chunks and in pieces and subscriptions and micro-transactions."
Thanks Develop Online.
- Valve's Chet Faliszek has been confirmed as the first developer session for EGX Rezzed 2015
- One area from Zelda Wii U is as big as the entirety of Skyward Sword
- Telltale's new collaboration is with Mojang, on a Minecraft story game
- Franklin voice actor indicates GTA V story DLC is on the way
- Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire and Bully sequels will come when the time is right says Rockstar
- Telltale teases another collaboration with another game developer
- New Company Of Heroes 2: Ardennes Assault trailer recognizes the 70th anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge
- New Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare trailer focuses on character customization
- Splash Damage's free-to-play shooter Dirty Bomb coming to Steam in the new year