Riccitiello predicts digital to pass retail in 2011
EA boss John Riccitiello has expressed the publisher's ultimate faith in the digital market is predicting that the digital market will surpass the retail market in 2011.
EA has already put a lot of its money into the digital basket by acquiring Facebook game developer PlayFish and mobile game publisher Chillingo as well as launching the browser-based Tiger Woods Online.
Riccitiello went so far as to suggest that digital will account for over 50 percent of the games market in 2011 despite no clear data on just how big the online market actually is.
He said: "At the end of , the digital business is bigger than the packaged goods business, full stop. I think that well find ways to even sell our packaged goods content in chunks and in pieces and subscriptions and micro-transactions."
Thanks Develop Online.
- Classic PC survival horror series returns with Alone In The Dark: Illumination
- Resident Evil: Revelations 2 confirmed with a concept trailer
- Xbox One owners, Destiny wants to eat your hard drive
- Saints Row IV modding tools released for PC
- Volition's Steve Jaros: Sarkeesian was right to call out Saints Row
- Playable Silent Hill teaser P.T. downloaded 1 million times
- Blooborne gets a Japanese release date
- Rockstar says no delay to next-gen GTA V, November release date rumoured
- Harmonix announces A City Sleeps, their new music-driven shooter