Riccitiello predicts digital to pass retail in 2011
EA boss John Riccitiello has expressed the publisher's ultimate faith in the digital market is predicting that the digital market will surpass the retail market in 2011.
EA has already put a lot of its money into the digital basket by acquiring Facebook game developer PlayFish and mobile game publisher Chillingo as well as launching the browser-based Tiger Woods Online.
Riccitiello went so far as to suggest that digital will account for over 50 percent of the games market in 2011 despite no clear data on just how big the online market actually is.
He said: "At the end of , the digital business is bigger than the packaged goods business, full stop. I think that well find ways to even sell our packaged goods content in chunks and in pieces and subscriptions and micro-transactions."
Thanks Develop Online.
- Ultra Street Fighter IV coming to PS4 at the end of May
- Ubisoft to publish Homeworld Remastered Collection at retail next month
- Journey, Flower and FlOw heading to the PS4 in a retail package
- Phil Harrison's departure from Microsoft has been confirmed
- Here's the first look at Star Wars: Battlefront
- Project CARS will feature 110 courses across over 30 iconic locations
- Gratuitous Space Battles 2 arrives today
- First Star Wars: Battlefront details arrive including a release date
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt's release date is now set in stone