Kinect breaks the 8 million unit mark
Microsoft has announced at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas that Kinect has sold 8 million units worldwide in just two months.
This smashes the sales targets Microsoft set of 5 million units by the end of 2010 and helped push the sales of the Xbox 360 itself beyond 50 million units worldwide. Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer added that Xbox Live has now passed the 30 million user threshold.
Ballmer said: "A new member joins Xbox Live every two seconds. Kinect and Xbox Live have helped drive consumer demand for the Xbox itself. Xbox 360 has been the number one selling console every month for the last six months here in the United States. And sales for the Xbox 360 are now over 50 million units worldwide."
He continued: "As many of you know, we predicted that we would sell about five million of these Kinect sensors by the end of the holiday season. We beat that forecast. In the first 60 days we sold over eight million Kinect sensors worldwide. This has been the biggest holiday and the biggest year ever for Xbox."
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3