Carmack hints at id direction
With the GDC drawing to a close today in San Jose, it's pleasing to note that there is still some news to be drawn from the event, which has already turned-out a few surprises from the likes of Microsoft, EA and Nokia. This is one announcement that gamer's will really get their teeth into however: word of a new project planned at id Software, confirmed by none other than John Carmack in his industry address.
Firstly, Carmack revealed that Doom 3 was very nearly complete, and would be shipping soon, before waxing lyrical on the increasing time it takes to develop games, and bemoaning potential ten-tear technology development cycles.
Carmack then went on to illuminate id's hopes of reusing current Doom 3 content in their next game, as a way of cutting the development time: "It's going to be some near-future. A present day or near-future thing where we can reuse the fire extinguishers, the waste baskets and some of those things like that in the game." A new game - or IP, in biz speak - would seem to be the order of the day then, as Carmack reiterated hopes to be able to release games more frequently, cutting down on Doom 3's four year development period, to two years for their next creation.
"Taking a game and not changing the game to get some value out of the new gen technology and get some value out of the new cards," was one idea under discussion, including currently-frozen plans to re-make Quake 2 in just this manner. Certainly such a 'Remix', as Carmack put it, would be very popular with many gamers - imagine Quake 2 with Doom 3 visuals. A tantalising prospect... more as we get it.
- Valve's Chet Faliszek has been confirmed as the first developer session for EGX Rezzed 2015
- One area from Zelda Wii U is as big as the entirety of Skyward Sword
- Telltale's new collaboration is with Mojang, on a Minecraft story game
- Franklin voice actor indicates GTA V story DLC is on the way
- Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire and Bully sequels will come when the time is right says Rockstar
- Telltale teases another collaboration with another game developer
- New Company Of Heroes 2: Ardennes Assault trailer recognizes the 70th anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge
- New Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare trailer focuses on character customization
- Splash Damage's free-to-play shooter Dirty Bomb coming to Steam in the new year