UK games market not slowed by the weather
Even though the UK is under a blanket of deep snow and many retailers have been experiencing stock shortages due to the weather it seems none of this has dampened peoples resolve to buy games over the festive period.
According to sales figures compiled by retail analysts BDO the games market has grown healthily over the last two weeks to a surprising 67.3 million GBP.
The main driving force behind the growth is the very strong line-up of releases headed by Call of Duty: Black Ops and Gran Turismo 5.
BDO's Don Williams said: "The weather has put people off, but it's come so early this year that consumers still have time to do their Christmas shopping. This weekend would normally be the big weekend for festive purchases, but most people will wait until the snow has cleared. Retailers will be nervous, but the fact we've had this snowfall at the end of November rather than mid-December means they won't have to panic discount."
- Stealth Inc 2 is coming to PC, PlayStation and Xbox
- Frozenbyte announces Trine 3: Artifacts Of Power
- Epic has dropped the subscription fee for the Unreal Engine 4
- Rumour: DirectX 12 could allow mixing and matching of AMD and Nvidia GPUs
- No more online modes for Ridge Racer Unbounded in Europe
- Mortal Kombat X coming to mobiles as a free-to-play card battler
- EA announces details of Battlefield: Hardline Premium
- Payday 2: Crimewave Edition to hit PS4 and Xbox One in the summer
- Valve and HTC partner up for the new SteamVR device the Vive