Gran Turismo 5 doubles PS3 sales in Japan
The PS3 received an added hardware sales boost in Japan this week after the release of Gran Turismo 5.
Polyphony Digital's long-awaited racing magnum opus has helped the PS3 to double it's sales in the last week in Japan as well as the game itself topping the sales charts in the land of the rising sun.
According to the sales figures compiled by analytics firm Media Create the PS3 hardware sales shot up from 29,000 the previous week to 69,000 units in the last week.
Gran Turismo 5 sold 431,000 units in total in its release week including hardware bundles making propelling it to the to of the sales charts and helping the PS3 to second in the hardware charts behind the PSP. All in all a good week for Sony on their home turf.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3