Bigpoint: Star Wars: The Old Republic will be unprofitable
The boss of European free-to-play MMO studio Bigpoint has expressed serious doubts over EA's do-or-die Star Wars MMO The Old Republic.
Bigpoint CEO Heiko Hubertz told this year's London Games Conference held at BAFTA yesterday that he believed the Bioware-developed SWTOR will be unprofitable.
Hubertz began: "If you look at Star Wars from EA and BioWare, they estimated a development budget of over $100m.This is an online game for many million of subscribers, so the publisher does not understand that a subscription model is not the future."
He continued: "With micro-transactions maybe I see the game having a chance but I don't think that EA or BioWare will ever be profitable with this game."
Thanks Develop Online.
- OlliOlli 2 devs Roll7 troll the game's Twitter critics
- DayZ creator teams up with Improbable to make the game worlds he's always wanted
- Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster coming to the PS4 in the summer
- [Update] Possible March PS Plus Instant Game Collection line-up appears on NeoGAF
- Trading gold for subscriptions coming soon to World Of Warcraft
- Unity 5 arrives completely free
- Mad Max gets slated for a September release
- Console ports of Gone Home have been shelved by Fullbright
- Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain release date leaked, getting an autumn release