Bigpoint: Star Wars: The Old Republic will be unprofitable
The boss of European free-to-play MMO studio Bigpoint has expressed serious doubts over EA's do-or-die Star Wars MMO The Old Republic.
Bigpoint CEO Heiko Hubertz told this year's London Games Conference held at BAFTA yesterday that he believed the Bioware-developed SWTOR will be unprofitable.
Hubertz began: "If you look at Star Wars from EA and BioWare, they estimated a development budget of over $100m.This is an online game for many million of subscribers, so the publisher does not understand that a subscription model is not the future."
He continued: "With micro-transactions maybe I see the game having a chance but I don't think that EA or BioWare will ever be profitable with this game."
Thanks Develop Online.
- Shovel Knight arrives on PlayStation platforms this week
- Microsoft shows off Spartan Locke in action in Halo 5: Guardians
- Bethesda E3 press conference invites tease everything but Fallout 4
- New Mass Effect details possibly leaked in an online survey
- Phil Spencer promises a first-party-focused E3 offering from Microsoft
- Valve tackles phishing and scamming on Steam by requiring new users spend 5 USD to make use of all features
- Borderlands franchise director leaves Gearbox
- Blizzard announces a release date for Heroes Of The Storm and an open beta too
- Ultra Street Fighter IV coming to PS4 at the end of May