Bigpoint: Star Wars: The Old Republic will be unprofitable
The boss of European free-to-play MMO studio Bigpoint has expressed serious doubts over EA's do-or-die Star Wars MMO The Old Republic.
Bigpoint CEO Heiko Hubertz told this year's London Games Conference held at BAFTA yesterday that he believed the Bioware-developed SWTOR will be unprofitable.
Hubertz began: "If you look at Star Wars from EA and BioWare, they estimated a development budget of over $100m.This is an online game for many million of subscribers, so the publisher does not understand that a subscription model is not the future."
He continued: "With micro-transactions maybe I see the game having a chance but I don't think that EA or BioWare will ever be profitable with this game."
Thanks Develop Online.
- New The Elder Scrolls Online trailer shows off the expansive world of Tamriel
- Batman: Arkham Knight gets a new 7-minute gameplay trailer
- Wildstar to go free-to-play later this year
- AMD highlights the benefits DirectX 12 will offer their users
- It could be 2 years before CD Projekt RED talks about Cyberpunk 2077 again
- PS4 remaster of Darksiders II appears on Amazon
- Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes comes to PS Plus next month
- Wii U version of Project CARS may not be released
- Diversity and gay romance didn't hurt sales says BioWare's David Gaider