Bigpoint: Star Wars: The Old Republic will be unprofitable
The boss of European free-to-play MMO studio Bigpoint has expressed serious doubts over EA's do-or-die Star Wars MMO The Old Republic.
Bigpoint CEO Heiko Hubertz told this year's London Games Conference held at BAFTA yesterday that he believed the Bioware-developed SWTOR will be unprofitable.
Hubertz began: "If you look at Star Wars from EA and BioWare, they estimated a development budget of over $100m.This is an online game for many million of subscribers, so the publisher does not understand that a subscription model is not the future."
He continued: "With micro-transactions maybe I see the game having a chance but I don't think that EA or BioWare will ever be profitable with this game."
Thanks Develop Online.
- Wasteland 2 gets a final release date
- Hellblade not tied to Heavenly Sword in any way stresses Ninja Theory
- Plants Vs Zombies: Garden Warfare gets a free trial on PC
- Crytek to repair their reputation by making good games
- Microsoft reveals another selection of Forza Horizon 2's 200 cars
- Microsoft insisted on 1080p for Diablo III on the Xbox One
- You want hardcore difficulty? Pillars Of Eternity will delete your savegame when you die
- Destiny writer joins Telltale Game to work on the Game Of Thrones series
- Ubisoft's support for PS3 and Xbox 360 to taper off after 2015