Bigpoint: Star Wars: The Old Republic will be unprofitable
The boss of European free-to-play MMO studio Bigpoint has expressed serious doubts over EA's do-or-die Star Wars MMO The Old Republic.
Bigpoint CEO Heiko Hubertz told this year's London Games Conference held at BAFTA yesterday that he believed the Bioware-developed SWTOR will be unprofitable.
Hubertz began: "If you look at Star Wars from EA and BioWare, they estimated a development budget of over $100m.This is an online game for many million of subscribers, so the publisher does not understand that a subscription model is not the future."
He continued: "With micro-transactions maybe I see the game having a chance but I don't think that EA or BioWare will ever be profitable with this game."
Thanks Develop Online.
- Team Junkfish's procedural survival horror Monstrum to return to Steam Early Access
- Miyamoto: Next Mario game might not arrive until Nintendo releases a new console
- Final Fantasy trailer drop continues with a new look at Final Fantasy XV
- New Final Fantasy Type-0 HD trailer drops
- Activision gives a first look at the new Exo Zombies mode for Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare
- Rockstar announces a Christmas bumper bonanza for GTA Online
- Hazelight to use the Unreal Engine 4 for their first game
- 343 Industries to offer Halo: ODST remastered campaign to apologise for Halo: The Master Chief Collection multiplayer problems
- Court rules that lawsuit against Sony over Killzone: Shadow Fall's 1080p claims