Sucker Punch: InFamous 2 only possible on PS3
While Sucker Punch has worked exclusively for Sony the past decade, the Washington-based studio is fairly confident that its latest title, inFamous 2, couldn't be done on Microsoft's rival platform, the Xbox 360.
Being able to focus development on a single platform has made producing the game much easier, says Sucker Punch co-founder Bruce Oberg. As he notes, when studios need to develop for two separate consoles, the software ends up being compromised by limitations of both. Of course, having the PlayStation's cell processor is also a perk.
"I just don't know if other platforms have the horsepower to pull it off," he tells Eurogamer. "At the end of inFamous 1 we were using 30 per cent of the Cell processors at any one time. Now we're creeping up over 50 and 60 per cent, because we know how to put things on to the Cell processors."
InFamous 2 is due out next year, exclusively for the PlayStation 3.
- Thomas Was Alone gets a release date for PS4 and Wii U
- New Warframe update adds space-flight to the gameplay with Archwing mode
- New poll indicates that people believe online gaming is “the least welcoming space” for women
- CD Projekt RED releases The Trail, the opening cinematic from The Witcher 3
- New Project CARS trailer pulls up to the starting grid
- Far Cry 4 dev says linear games will suffer in the new world of gameplay video sharing
- Almost 1,100 developers, students and journalists sign the new #gamediversity petition embracing diversity in games
- Felicia Day breaks her silence about #Gamergate, is almost immediately doxxed
- Ubisoft announces PC specs for Assassin's Creed: Unity and they're killer