New Pokemon sets Japanese record for fastest-selling game
Last week, Japanese gamers lined up en masse to pick up Nintendo's latest Pokemon offering, Black and White. Now, according to statistics released by software tracker Media Create, the duo of DS titles have set a Japanese record for the fastest-selling game.
The two titles combined sold 2.56 million copies during the first two days they were available, with Black selling 1.3 million units and White shifting 1.2 million. Because Media Create counts the games as a single SKU, Pokemon Black and White have set the records for largest launch and fastest-selling title.
The previous record holder was Final Fantasy VIII, which rode the coattails of its massively popular predecessor.
Pokemon Black and White also helped lift the sales of the DS, which shifted 85,770 units for the week. To date, 31 million DS handhelds have been sold in the territory.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3