Madden pushes Xbox 360 to the top of American retail charts
With the start of the 2010 NFL season on the horizon, American gamers were swept up by Madden fever in August as the latest iteration of Electronic Arts' flagship franchise sold more than 1.8 million copies in August.
The title was the top-selling game for the month in North America, selling relatively evenly between both the PS3 and Xbox 360, according to the latest retail data from the NPD Group. Mafia II was the only other new release to chart in the top 10 games, with older games such as New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 accounting for the rest.
Madden, which has traditionally been closely associated to the Xbox 360, helped the console top hardware charts, shifting 356K units. The Wii and PlayStation 3 sold 244K and 226K respectively. Meanwhile, on the handheld front, the DS trumped the struggling PSP, moving 342K devices compared to 79K.
While both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 showed year-over-year growth, the industry as a whole declined for the fifth consecutive month.
- Next week's Destiny events detailed
- Swery65's D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die is out now on Xbox One
- Silent Hills could be an episodic title
- Thomas Was Alone is making the jump to the PS4
- Destiny helps give the PS4 a 300 percent sales kick
- New Yakuza 0 trailer shows off 1980s Japan
- Bloodborne's Western release date has been confirmed
- Classic WWII RTS action returns with Blitzkrieg 3
- Tetsuya Nomura leaves Final Fantasy XV to concentrate of Kingdom Hearts III