Madden pushes Xbox 360 to the top of American retail charts
With the start of the 2010 NFL season on the horizon, American gamers were swept up by Madden fever in August as the latest iteration of Electronic Arts' flagship franchise sold more than 1.8 million copies in August.
The title was the top-selling game for the month in North America, selling relatively evenly between both the PS3 and Xbox 360, according to the latest retail data from the NPD Group. Mafia II was the only other new release to chart in the top 10 games, with older games such as New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 accounting for the rest.
Madden, which has traditionally been closely associated to the Xbox 360, helped the console top hardware charts, shifting 356K units. The Wii and PlayStation 3 sold 244K and 226K respectively. Meanwhile, on the handheld front, the DS trumped the struggling PSP, moving 342K devices compared to 79K.
While both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 showed year-over-year growth, the industry as a whole declined for the fifth consecutive month.
- Microsoft doubles down for April's Games With Gold
- Every wondered what it would be like in James Bond and Joanna Dark met? Cara Ellison and Irene Koh have answered that question
- Dirty Bomb beta is back online
- Obsidian's saviour Pillars Of Eternity launches today, Watch it streamed live here later today
- Infinite Crisis launches fully today on Steam
- Here's what the new Hunters and the Behemoth for Evolve look like in action
- Blood and Burning and Celts Culture DLC Packs arrive for Total War: Attila
- F1 2015 coming to PC, PS4 and Xbox One this summer, first screenshots released
- Ubisoft introduces Alex Parizeau, the new head of Ubisoft Toronto