Capps: Epic to bring triple-A to the iPhone
Epic Games' president Mike Capps has been elaborating a bit about their ambitions for the Unreal Engine's much delayed appearance on the iPhone.
Capps explained to Gamasutra that, for Epic, it wasn't about trying to compete with Angry Birds, it was more about bringing what they do best to the iPhone high quality triple-A titles.
Capps began: "It would not be smart to compete with the Bejeweleds and Angry Birds of the world on the iPhone."
He continued talking about the engine itself: "Everything's supported. The difference of course is that it's not quite as powerful a graphics processor as on the Xbox 360, so you'll probably do some custom content work, but you're using the same tool chain of UnrealEd and Kismet and the same physics tools and everything."
He added: "With the expansion of the Unreal Development Kit, we've got hundreds of thousands of folks who are messing around with the tools doing smaller projects, he adds. So we're not really just about giant triple-A console games anymore. Those are the ones Mass Effect gets press, but there are lots of small hobby groups or casual gamers using Unreal Engine. I think it's perfect for them. It's what they've been missing."
His concluding words were the most encouraging though: "For me it's about, can we take the gaming experiences -- not just Gears, but like Shadow Complex that we've done on other platforms, and bring that kind of quality to the mobile devices, and right now I feel like we can."
- Visuals are key to the PS4's success according to Nielsen's latest survey
- Sledgehammer considering revisiting classic multiplayer maps for Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare
- New ToeJam & Earl game comes to Kickstarter
- Free login campaign announced as Final Fantasy XIV tops 4 million registered users
- Fable Legends will be free-to-play on both PC and Xbox One
- Bastion will hit the PS4 in April
- Sierra bringing Velocity 2X to Xbox One and PC
- This month is a triple-A bonanza for Xbox gamers on Games With Gold
- New House Of Wolves leak shows a Reef social hub for Destiny