Capps: Epic to bring triple-A to the iPhone
Epic Games' president Mike Capps has been elaborating a bit about their ambitions for the Unreal Engine's much delayed appearance on the iPhone.
Capps explained to Gamasutra that, for Epic, it wasn't about trying to compete with Angry Birds, it was more about bringing what they do best to the iPhone high quality triple-A titles.
Capps began: "It would not be smart to compete with the Bejeweleds and Angry Birds of the world on the iPhone."
He continued talking about the engine itself: "Everything's supported. The difference of course is that it's not quite as powerful a graphics processor as on the Xbox 360, so you'll probably do some custom content work, but you're using the same tool chain of UnrealEd and Kismet and the same physics tools and everything."
He added: "With the expansion of the Unreal Development Kit, we've got hundreds of thousands of folks who are messing around with the tools doing smaller projects, he adds. So we're not really just about giant triple-A console games anymore. Those are the ones Mass Effect gets press, but there are lots of small hobby groups or casual gamers using Unreal Engine. I think it's perfect for them. It's what they've been missing."
His concluding words were the most encouraging though: "For me it's about, can we take the gaming experiences -- not just Gears, but like Shadow Complex that we've done on other platforms, and bring that kind of quality to the mobile devices, and right now I feel like we can."
- Star Citizen hits 55 million USD in funding and makes the Guinness Book Of World Records
- New PS Vita update brings in Themes
- The Last Team Standing update arrives for GTA Online
- Syndicate spiritual successor Satellite Reign gets a new HD gameplay video
- Last chance to back card-collecting RPG Eminence: Xander's Tales on Kickstarter
- October PS Plus Instant Game Collection line-up announced with Driveclub as a bonus
- Betas planned for every platform should ensure Battlefield: Hardline will work at launch
- Latest patch for Battlefield 4 fixes just about everything and unblocks your kitchen sink
- Warface gets updated with new maps and a few gameplay tweaks