Capps: Epic to bring triple-A to the iPhone
Epic Games' president Mike Capps has been elaborating a bit about their ambitions for the Unreal Engine's much delayed appearance on the iPhone.
Capps explained to Gamasutra that, for Epic, it wasn't about trying to compete with Angry Birds, it was more about bringing what they do best to the iPhone high quality triple-A titles.
Capps began: "It would not be smart to compete with the Bejeweleds and Angry Birds of the world on the iPhone."
He continued talking about the engine itself: "Everything's supported. The difference of course is that it's not quite as powerful a graphics processor as on the Xbox 360, so you'll probably do some custom content work, but you're using the same tool chain of UnrealEd and Kismet and the same physics tools and everything."
He added: "With the expansion of the Unreal Development Kit, we've got hundreds of thousands of folks who are messing around with the tools doing smaller projects, he adds. So we're not really just about giant triple-A console games anymore. Those are the ones Mass Effect gets press, but there are lots of small hobby groups or casual gamers using Unreal Engine. I think it's perfect for them. It's what they've been missing."
His concluding words were the most encouraging though: "For me it's about, can we take the gaming experiences -- not just Gears, but like Shadow Complex that we've done on other platforms, and bring that kind of quality to the mobile devices, and right now I feel like we can."
- Bungie explains their latest weapon balancing efforts in Destiny, promises more is coming
- Blizzard aiming to release Hearthstone on Android tablets by the end of the year
- Former BioWare man Casey Hudson hints at an Oculus Rift project
- Dark Souls on PC to switch from Games For Windows Live to Steam next month
- Square Enix announces details and pricing on the premium livestream of Final Fantasy XIV Fan Festival 2014
- First Challenge Mode DLC arrives next week for Alien: Isolation
- Metallica to close out this year's BlizzCon
- Free DLC adds a new skin and runes to Shadow Of Mordor
- ESL Gaming app arrives for the Xbox One