TIGA takes a swipe at UK policy-makers
TIGA released atatement today criticisimg the UK government for being "asleep at the wheel" as Canada overtakes the UK as the third-biggest development workforce in the world.
TIGA CEO Dr Richard Wilson said: "UK politicians have been asleep at the wheel - while the Canadian video games industry has soared in numbers and the UK development workforce has declined. There was nothing inevitable about this process. Canadian policy makers simply took the farsighted decision to create an attractive environment to do games business, in particular, through the provision of generous tax breaks."
he continued: "UK policy makers need to wake up. If we are to rebalance the UK economy away from an excessive reliance on public sector employment and financial services then we must encourage the growth of other sectors, including creative industries such as the video games industry. It is not too late to ensure that the UK remains a leading developer of video games. The UK Coalition Government must look again at our proposal for Games Tax Relief - a measure that over five years would generate 3,550 graduate level jobs, 457 million in investment, encourage new business models and the generation of new IP. "
The situation was worsened today by the sad news that Dundee's Realtime Worlds, one of the world's biggest independent developers was going into administration.
- Thomas Was Alone gets a release date for PS4 and Wii U
- New Warframe update adds space-flight to the gameplay with Archwing mode
- New poll indicates that people believe online gaming is “the least welcoming space” for women
- CD Projekt RED releases The Trail, the opening cinematic from The Witcher 3
- New Project CARS trailer pulls up to the starting grid
- Far Cry 4 dev says linear games will suffer in the new world of gameplay video sharing
- Almost 1,100 developers, students and journalists sign the new #gamediversity petition embracing diversity in games
- Felicia Day breaks her silence about #Gamergate, is almost immediately doxxed
- Ubisoft announces PC specs for Assassin's Creed: Unity and they're killer