Levine: BioShock shares similarities with Final Fantasy
Irrational Games' creative director Ken Levine has been talking in more depth about their newly announced game BioShock Infinite.
Levine has been telling Joystiq about taking the series to the clouds, drawing parallels with Final Fantasy.
Levine explains: "I think BioShock is a lot more than just Rapture. This is a game; it's a first-person shooter set in an amazing place with a story wrought with - from our perspective - ideas that are tied with history. But we felt that if we made this game and it wasn't a BioShock game, that would be a bit of a cheat. To say, 'Oh, it's a totally new thing.' But it is a new thing, but it's also a continuation of the things we've done before. Final Fantasy is a very similar thing. They have some similar elements."
He continues: "One of the cheats we've given ourselves over the history of the company is sort of being in this world that's almost dead. And you just have the sort of crazies wandering around who you can't really interact with in any meaningful way. I think, and I could be wrong, I think I invented the "see the guy on the other side of the glass window and interact with him" thing. And that's a dubious distinction, as an invention. And that's one of the things that we said we're not going to allow ourselves to have a game that's entirely run by that."
BioShock Infinite is due for release on Xbox 360, PC and PS3 in 2012.
- Trine series sells 7 million copies, Frozenbyte releases user-creation tools
- Lots of teary-eyed gamers as more Star Wars: Battlefront 3 gameplay footage leaks out
- Jade Raymond leaves Ubisoft Toronto to pursue new opportunities
- Ryse: Son Of Rome scores Best Game Design award at the Animago Awards in Germany
- Activision releases the launch trailer for Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare a little early
- Rockstar won't be holding a beta for GTA Online on the PC
- UK to toughen up laws on internet harassment
- Final Fantasy XIV Heavensward expansion announced for release next year, first screenshots released
- Driveclub issues persist as players report trouble downloading the latest patch