Levine: BioShock shares similarities with Final Fantasy
Irrational Games' creative director Ken Levine has been talking in more depth about their newly announced game BioShock Infinite.
Levine has been telling Joystiq about taking the series to the clouds, drawing parallels with Final Fantasy.
Levine explains: "I think BioShock is a lot more than just Rapture. This is a game; it's a first-person shooter set in an amazing place with a story wrought with - from our perspective - ideas that are tied with history. But we felt that if we made this game and it wasn't a BioShock game, that would be a bit of a cheat. To say, 'Oh, it's a totally new thing.' But it is a new thing, but it's also a continuation of the things we've done before. Final Fantasy is a very similar thing. They have some similar elements."
He continues: "One of the cheats we've given ourselves over the history of the company is sort of being in this world that's almost dead. And you just have the sort of crazies wandering around who you can't really interact with in any meaningful way. I think, and I could be wrong, I think I invented the "see the guy on the other side of the glass window and interact with him" thing. And that's a dubious distinction, as an invention. And that's one of the things that we said we're not going to allow ourselves to have a game that's entirely run by that."
BioShock Infinite is due for release on Xbox 360, PC and PS3 in 2012.
- Thomas Was Alone gets a release date for PS4 and Wii U
- New Warframe update adds space-flight to the gameplay with Archwing mode
- New poll indicates that people believe online gaming is “the least welcoming space” for women
- CD Projekt RED releases The Trail, the opening cinematic from The Witcher 3
- New Project CARS trailer pulls up to the starting grid
- Far Cry 4 dev says linear games will suffer in the new world of gameplay video sharing
- Almost 1,100 developers, students and journalists sign the new #gamediversity petition embracing diversity in games
- Felicia Day breaks her silence about #Gamergate, is almost immediately doxxed
- Ubisoft announces PC specs for Assassin's Creed: Unity and they're killer