Levine: BioShock shares similarities with Final Fantasy
Irrational Games' creative director Ken Levine has been talking in more depth about their newly announced game BioShock Infinite.
Levine has been telling Joystiq about taking the series to the clouds, drawing parallels with Final Fantasy.
Levine explains: "I think BioShock is a lot more than just Rapture. This is a game; it's a first-person shooter set in an amazing place with a story wrought with - from our perspective - ideas that are tied with history. But we felt that if we made this game and it wasn't a BioShock game, that would be a bit of a cheat. To say, 'Oh, it's a totally new thing.' But it is a new thing, but it's also a continuation of the things we've done before. Final Fantasy is a very similar thing. They have some similar elements."
He continues: "One of the cheats we've given ourselves over the history of the company is sort of being in this world that's almost dead. And you just have the sort of crazies wandering around who you can't really interact with in any meaningful way. I think, and I could be wrong, I think I invented the "see the guy on the other side of the glass window and interact with him" thing. And that's a dubious distinction, as an invention. And that's one of the things that we said we're not going to allow ourselves to have a game that's entirely run by that."
BioShock Infinite is due for release on Xbox 360, PC and PS3 in 2012.
- Nival announces beta access and a massive gun for pre-ordering Blitzkrieg 3
- Evolve developers promise that all map DLC will be free
- Sony gets all generous with Decembers PS Plus Instant Game Collection line-up
- New Destiny trailer teases interesting new stuff coming with The Dark Below
- Geometry Wars 3 hits PC today, consoles tomorrow
- Retail listing for ZombiU 2 spotted
- 343 admits last week's Halo: The Master Chief Collection patch didn't work as well as they'd hoped, promises to keep working
- Dark Souls II is heading to PS4, Xbox One and DirectX 11 PC next year
- Square Enix boss promises a brand new console RPG reveal next month