Mafia II demo first on PS Plus
Publisher 2K Games has made the bizarre move of granting PlayStation Plus subscribers advance access to the playable demo of Mafia II tomorrow. PlayStation.Blog EU relayed the news of a 24-hour exclusive for PlayStation Plus users. Following the first day of availability, the Mafia II will be offered for the general public.
It's a bizarre move, though one that was tried unsuccessfully several times by various publishers on Xbox 360. At the urging of Microsoft in its hopes to push players into purchasing Xbox Live gold memberships, many demos were restricted to gold-level users for set periods of time.
It seems unlikely that a 24-hour exclusive will entice anyone to purchase a PlayStation Plus subscription. The real question is how many more publishers will try this before everyone realises it doesn't work.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3