Dev says US hates turn-based play
The creator of the immensely popular Dragon Quest franchise implies that US reviewers have a bias against turn-based role-playing games.
Yuji Hori spoke with IGN about the release of Dragon Quest IX and his thoughts on American reviewers supposedly slamming turn-based combat systems.
"I wonder sometimes why the US reviewers are more negative towards turn-based battle systems. Real-time play has fun aspects too, but for this type of game there is more strategy that comes with a turn-based system."
With all due respect to Hori, his argument is unsubstantiated since several turn-based games have scored high marks with US critics such as Valkyria Chronicles, Tales of Vesperia, and Hori's own Dragon Quest IX.
- New Overwatch videos show off Hanzo and McCree
- Tychus loses his cigar for his appearance in Heroes Of The Storm
- Capcom details the Ultra Street Fighter IV PS4 upgrades
- Codemasters releases a teaser for F1 2015
- Total War: Arena gameplay unveiled
- Warner Bros bringing Batman's cowl and cape from Batman: Arkham Knight to MCM Comic-Con this weekend
- Red Thread gives an update on Dreamfall Chapters Book Three
- Sony releases a pretty 1080p gameplay video of God Of War III on PS4
- Techland shelves Hellraid to focus on Dying Light