Dev says US hates turn-based play
The creator of the immensely popular Dragon Quest franchise implies that US reviewers have a bias against turn-based role-playing games.
Yuji Hori spoke with IGN about the release of Dragon Quest IX and his thoughts on American reviewers supposedly slamming turn-based combat systems.
"I wonder sometimes why the US reviewers are more negative towards turn-based battle systems. Real-time play has fun aspects too, but for this type of game there is more strategy that comes with a turn-based system."
With all due respect to Hori, his argument is unsubstantiated since several turn-based games have scored high marks with US critics such as Valkyria Chronicles, Tales of Vesperia, and Hori's own Dragon Quest IX.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3