Dev says US hates turn-based play
The creator of the immensely popular Dragon Quest franchise implies that US reviewers have a bias against turn-based role-playing games.
Yuji Hori spoke with IGN about the release of Dragon Quest IX and his thoughts on American reviewers supposedly slamming turn-based combat systems.
"I wonder sometimes why the US reviewers are more negative towards turn-based battle systems. Real-time play has fun aspects too, but for this type of game there is more strategy that comes with a turn-based system."
With all due respect to Hori, his argument is unsubstantiated since several turn-based games have scored high marks with US critics such as Valkyria Chronicles, Tales of Vesperia, and Hori's own Dragon Quest IX.
- Next week's Destiny events detailed
- Swery65's D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die is out now on Xbox One
- Silent Hills could be an episodic title
- Thomas Was Alone is making the jump to the PS4
- Destiny helps give the PS4 a 300 percent sales kick
- New Yakuza 0 trailer shows off 1980s Japan
- Bloodborne's Western release date has been confirmed
- Classic WWII RTS action returns with Blitzkrieg 3
- Tetsuya Nomura leaves Final Fantasy XV to concentrate of Kingdom Hearts III