Dev says US hates turn-based play
The creator of the immensely popular Dragon Quest franchise implies that US reviewers have a bias against turn-based role-playing games.
Yuji Hori spoke with IGN about the release of Dragon Quest IX and his thoughts on American reviewers supposedly slamming turn-based combat systems.
"I wonder sometimes why the US reviewers are more negative towards turn-based battle systems. Real-time play has fun aspects too, but for this type of game there is more strategy that comes with a turn-based system."
With all due respect to Hori, his argument is unsubstantiated since several turn-based games have scored high marks with US critics such as Valkyria Chronicles, Tales of Vesperia, and Hori's own Dragon Quest IX.
- Thomas Was Alone gets a release date for PS4 and Wii U
- New Warframe update adds space-flight to the gameplay with Archwing mode
- New poll indicates that people believe online gaming is “the least welcoming space” for women
- CD Projekt RED releases The Trail, the opening cinematic from The Witcher 3
- New Project CARS trailer pulls up to the starting grid
- Far Cry 4 dev says linear games will suffer in the new world of gameplay video sharing
- Almost 1,100 developers, students and journalists sign the new #gamediversity petition embracing diversity in games
- Felicia Day breaks her silence about #Gamergate, is almost immediately doxxed
- Ubisoft announces PC specs for Assassin's Creed: Unity and they're killer