Dev says US hates turn-based play
The creator of the immensely popular Dragon Quest franchise implies that US reviewers have a bias against turn-based role-playing games.
Yuji Hori spoke with IGN about the release of Dragon Quest IX and his thoughts on American reviewers supposedly slamming turn-based combat systems.
"I wonder sometimes why the US reviewers are more negative towards turn-based battle systems. Real-time play has fun aspects too, but for this type of game there is more strategy that comes with a turn-based system."
With all due respect to Hori, his argument is unsubstantiated since several turn-based games have scored high marks with US critics such as Valkyria Chronicles, Tales of Vesperia, and Hori's own Dragon Quest IX.
- Techland announces a Dying Light modding contest alongside new updates for the toolset
- 2K announces the Evolve Proving Grounds tournament in conjunction with ESL
- Broken Age: Part 2 arrives for backers 24 hours ahead of the full launch
- Halo Championship Series Cup 1 cancelled due to continued online problems
- Dirt Rally announced as a PC exclusive, hits Steam Early Access
- PC benchmarking app arrives for Final Fantasy XIV players to make sure they can run Heavensward
- [UPDATE] Hideo Kojima and Guillermo Del Toro collaboration Silent Hills looks like it has been canned
- Gears Of War Xbox One remaster looks like it's coming
- Batman: Arkham Knight will have GTA V-style character switching