Xbox boss Phil Spencer believes that frame rate is more important than resolution
Xbox boss Phil Spencer has been talking about the controversial issues of image resolution and frame rate and what he sees as important for a great gaming experience.
Spencer believes that frame rate is a far more important number for a good experience than achieving the “mythical” 1080p resolution.
“But in the end I don’t want it to be about a number, because 1080p isn’t some mythical, perfect resolution. Frame rate to me is significantly more important to gameplay than resolution and the mix of those two which brings the right art style and freedom, whether it’s on PlayStation or our platform,” he went on. “I look at games like The Order: 1886 on Sony’s platform and they picked a different resolution – I like the resolution that they picked, I think it’s interesting.”
He does recognized there are some games for which hitting 1080p at 60fps is important. He added, “Clearly some genres like with racing sims like Forza, hitting 1080p/60fps is important. So there are certain genres where there’s an expectation, but there are also other genres where I’d rather use the cycles to put more effects on screen or better lighting. I’ve got to put the tools in the hands of developers.”
- Ultra Street Fighter IV coming to PS4 at the end of May
- Ubisoft to publish Homeworld Remastered Collection at retail next month
- Journey, Flower and FlOw heading to the PS4 in a retail package
- Phil Harrison's departure from Microsoft has been confirmed
- Here's the first look at Star Wars: Battlefront
- Project CARS will feature 110 courses across over 30 iconic locations
- Gratuitous Space Battles 2 arrives today
- First Star Wars: Battlefront details arrive including a release date
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt's release date is now set in stone