Xbox boss Phil Spencer believes that frame rate is more important than resolution
Xbox boss Phil Spencer has been talking about the controversial issues of image resolution and frame rate and what he sees as important for a great gaming experience.
Spencer believes that frame rate is a far more important number for a good experience than achieving the “mythical” 1080p resolution.
“But in the end I don’t want it to be about a number, because 1080p isn’t some mythical, perfect resolution. Frame rate to me is significantly more important to gameplay than resolution and the mix of those two which brings the right art style and freedom, whether it’s on PlayStation or our platform,” he went on. “I look at games like The Order: 1886 on Sony’s platform and they picked a different resolution – I like the resolution that they picked, I think it’s interesting.”
He does recognized there are some games for which hitting 1080p at 60fps is important. He added, “Clearly some genres like with racing sims like Forza, hitting 1080p/60fps is important. So there are certain genres where there’s an expectation, but there are also other genres where I’d rather use the cycles to put more effects on screen or better lighting. I’ve got to put the tools in the hands of developers.”
- New Yakuza 0 trailer shows off 1980s Japan
- Bloodborne's Western release date has been confirmed
- Classic WWII RTS action returns with Blitzkrieg 3
- Tetsuya Nomura leaves Final Fantasy XV to concentrate of Kingdom Hearts III
- New Final Fantasy XV trailer unveiled, demo coming next year
- Final Fantasy XIII and its spin-offs coming to the PC
- Final Fantasy Type-0 HD gets a release date
- Visceral reveals details of Battlefield: Hardline's Hotwire multiplayer mode and a new gameplay video
- Singapore hotlap video arrives for F1 2014