Xbox boss Phil Spencer believes that frame rate is more important than resolution
Xbox boss Phil Spencer has been talking about the controversial issues of image resolution and frame rate and what he sees as important for a great gaming experience.
Spencer believes that frame rate is a far more important number for a good experience than achieving the “mythical” 1080p resolution.
“But in the end I don’t want it to be about a number, because 1080p isn’t some mythical, perfect resolution. Frame rate to me is significantly more important to gameplay than resolution and the mix of those two which brings the right art style and freedom, whether it’s on PlayStation or our platform,” he went on. “I look at games like The Order: 1886 on Sony’s platform and they picked a different resolution – I like the resolution that they picked, I think it’s interesting.”
He does recognized there are some games for which hitting 1080p at 60fps is important. He added, “Clearly some genres like with racing sims like Forza, hitting 1080p/60fps is important. So there are certain genres where there’s an expectation, but there are also other genres where I’d rather use the cycles to put more effects on screen or better lighting. I’ve got to put the tools in the hands of developers.”
- Valve's Chet Faliszek has been confirmed as the first developer session for EGX Rezzed 2015
- One area from Zelda Wii U is as big as the entirety of Skyward Sword
- Telltale's new collaboration is with Mojang, on a Minecraft story game
- Franklin voice actor indicates GTA V story DLC is on the way
- Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire and Bully sequels will come when the time is right says Rockstar
- Telltale teases another collaboration with another game developer
- New Company Of Heroes 2: Ardennes Assault trailer recognizes the 70th anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge
- New Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare trailer focuses on character customization
- Splash Damage's free-to-play shooter Dirty Bomb coming to Steam in the new year