Bungie had tough choice between Reach and Halo 4
Bungie's community director, Brian Jarrard, has been talking about their fond farewell to the Halo series.
Jarrard revealed that they had thought about doing Halo 4 as their final hurrah but doing another sequel carried too much baggage with it.
He said: "Even before the idea to build a game based around Reach came about, a lot of other concepts were explored, up to and including a proper 'Halo 4,' where Master Chief was going to wake up from cryo-sleep and we were going to tell that story."
On the Halo 4 concepts Jarrard added: "It just wasn't as interesting to the team to just pick up where that left off and all the baggage that came with it."
In the end the idea of Reach was the most appealing.
Jarrard continues: "I think it was a little bit liberating. Hearing the guys talk about working through the trilogy and the obligation of keeping the themes moving forward and tying them up systematically. And 'ODST' was also kinda nice 'cause they could do something different, something separate, and it's totally self-contained. I definitely think that, for 'Reach,' a lot of the same attitude carried over. We don't want to open up a whole bunch of doors that we're not going to close. By the end of this, it's all going to come to a nice, neat finish, and if people want to then go play the Halo trilogy, I think they'll have a better understanding of what's going on, but it's not required at all."
Thanks MTV Multiplayer.
- BioShock Infinite: Complete Edition coming this November
- Final piece of Dark Souls II DLC is delayed, new screenshots released to soothe the pain
- Eden Hazard shows off some of his new skill moves from FIFA 15
- Assassin's Creed: Unity Season Pass comes with a 2.5D standalone adventure set in China
- Saints Row IV modders create a new weapon skin for the Alien SMG in honour of Steve Jaros' departure
- PlayStation TV gets a release date for Europe and the US
- Driveclub gets a white PS4 hardware bundle
- Sony offering up a free online multiplayer weekend on PS4 this weekend
- Sledgehammer promises a reveal of Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare co-op mode soon