Bungie had tough choice between Reach and Halo 4
Bungie's community director, Brian Jarrard, has been talking about their fond farewell to the Halo series.
Jarrard revealed that they had thought about doing Halo 4 as their final hurrah but doing another sequel carried too much baggage with it.
He said: "Even before the idea to build a game based around Reach came about, a lot of other concepts were explored, up to and including a proper 'Halo 4,' where Master Chief was going to wake up from cryo-sleep and we were going to tell that story."
On the Halo 4 concepts Jarrard added: "It just wasn't as interesting to the team to just pick up where that left off and all the baggage that came with it."
In the end the idea of Reach was the most appealing.
Jarrard continues: "I think it was a little bit liberating. Hearing the guys talk about working through the trilogy and the obligation of keeping the themes moving forward and tying them up systematically. And 'ODST' was also kinda nice 'cause they could do something different, something separate, and it's totally self-contained. I definitely think that, for 'Reach,' a lot of the same attitude carried over. We don't want to open up a whole bunch of doors that we're not going to close. By the end of this, it's all going to come to a nice, neat finish, and if people want to then go play the Halo trilogy, I think they'll have a better understanding of what's going on, but it's not required at all."
Thanks MTV Multiplayer.
- Visuals are key to the PS4's success according to Nielsen's latest survey
- Sledgehammer considering revisiting classic multiplayer maps for Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare
- New ToeJam & Earl game comes to Kickstarter
- Free login campaign announced as Final Fantasy XIV tops 4 million registered users
- Fable Legends will be free-to-play on both PC and Xbox One
- Bastion will hit the PS4 in April
- Sierra bringing Velocity 2X to Xbox One and PC
- This month is a triple-A bonanza for Xbox gamers on Games With Gold
- New House Of Wolves leak shows a Reef social hub for Destiny