Bungie hated original Halo subtitle
Debate with Microsoft over the title of Bungie's groundbreaking first-person shooter resulted in Halo being slapped with an unlikable subtitle.
Halo: Combat Evolved originally didn't have a subtitle designer Jaime Griesemer tells EDGE. Microsoft didn't like the name 'Halo' and insisted on a more descriptive title.
"Everyone at Bungie hated it. But it turned out to be a very sticky label and has now entered the gaming lexicon to the point where articles that have nothing to do with Halo get titles like 'Skateboarding Evolved'. So I guess in hindsight it was a good compromise."
There weren't any arguments about the developer's newest game Halo: Reach, thankfully. The Xbox 360-exclusive will be available September 14.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3