PEGI ratings launch in September - maybe
PEGI administrator for the UK, the Video Standards Council, has said that the new PEGI ratings will not be installed as the only games ratings system until autumn at the very earliest.
The ratings system was put into place as part of the Digital Economies Act passed just before the UK general election, however the Act will not come into force until the Government has the time to implement it.
VSC director of operations Peter Darby explains: "At the moment there is no difference whatsoever. The law still remains as it was prior to the Act being passed because what the Act has actually done is given the Secretary of State the power to change it when he feels he wants to, so our particular sections have not been made effective as of yet."
The situation was clarified further by VSC director general, Laurie Hall who added: "The Secretary of State has to be satisfied that everything has been put in place before he presses the green button," added Laurie Hall, VSC director general. "There are various arrangements that have to be put in place: a statutory instrument for dealing with packaging regulations; the Secretary of State has to be happy that the arrangements that the VSC itself has put in place to carry out its statutory duties are in order before he designates us."
Hall concluded: "When exactly will all this happen? We don't know. Our best guess is the early autumn, possibly September."
- Microsoft announces the feature list for the November Xbox One update
- EA Sports patches in some more missing features for the next-gen versions of NHL 15
- Blizzard begins rolling out a new patch for Starcraft II
- Far Cry 4 Season Pass details announced
- Shinji Mikami: I never use women as objects in my games
- Microsoft releases the first trailer for Halo: Nightfall TV series, first episode to premiere at Halo Fanfest
- Silence – The Whispered World 2 announced for Xbox One
- Titanfall to get its very own Horde mode called Frontier Defense
- John Riccitiello joins Unity as their new CEO