PEGI ratings launch in September - maybe
PEGI administrator for the UK, the Video Standards Council, has said that the new PEGI ratings will not be installed as the only games ratings system until autumn at the very earliest.
The ratings system was put into place as part of the Digital Economies Act passed just before the UK general election, however the Act will not come into force until the Government has the time to implement it.
VSC director of operations Peter Darby explains: "At the moment there is no difference whatsoever. The law still remains as it was prior to the Act being passed because what the Act has actually done is given the Secretary of State the power to change it when he feels he wants to, so our particular sections have not been made effective as of yet."
The situation was clarified further by VSC director general, Laurie Hall who added: "The Secretary of State has to be satisfied that everything has been put in place before he presses the green button," added Laurie Hall, VSC director general. "There are various arrangements that have to be put in place: a statutory instrument for dealing with packaging regulations; the Secretary of State has to be happy that the arrangements that the VSC itself has put in place to carry out its statutory duties are in order before he designates us."
Hall concluded: "When exactly will all this happen? We don't know. Our best guess is the early autumn, possibly September."
- First Nosgoth eSports tournament to begin next month
- Stealth Inc 2 trailer peeks it head out of the shadows
- The Crew beta launches on PS4 and Xbox One next week
- PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of Dying Light cancelled, Techland describes their development as painful
- Sony investigating issues resulting from the release of PS4 firmware 2.0
- New trailer makes Final Fantasy Type-0 HD look like the darkest Final Fantasy game yet
- Screenshot on the PlayStation Blog points to an Uncharted re-release on PS4
- EA gives a release window for Star Wars: Battlefront
- Activision announces details and a release date for Destiny's first DLC The Dark Below