BioWare: Most MMOs lack fun
BioWare's Daniel Erickson has been very vocal in criticising the MMO genre for lacking real story.
Erickson told CVG in a recent interview that MMOs were missing a vital ingredient, namely storytelling, and that BioWare would change that with Star Wars: The Old Republic.
Erickson began: "In the early days when they first announced that there were MMOs, like the existence of them, I knew in my head what that meant - because I played Role Playing Games. It was just giant Role Playing Games. And then MMO [games] showed up, and it wasn't that. It was the ruleset to an RPG: There was combat, and there were areas, but that was all. Someone had left out the module. There was no story, there was no point. You just kind of wandered around. And that hasn't really changed all that much over the years."
This idea loomed large in the minds of the team creating The Old Republic. Erickson continues: "We've always had that thought in the back of our heads: That Old Republic should be all the things we thought an MMO would be in the first place - which is all the parts of an RPG. Which means - and this is the most radical idea - it should just be fun. Like, just fun to play. You shouldn't be trying to ignore all of the content to get to the end as fast as possible."
Hopefully The Old Republic will capture the spirit of Knights of the Old Republic and translate it well for the MMO arena.
Star Wars: The Old Republic is due out on PC some time after March 2011 according to EA.
- Shovel Knight arrives on PlayStation platforms this week
- Microsoft shows off Spartan Locke in action in Halo 5: Guardians
- Bethesda E3 press conference invites tease everything but Fallout 4
- New Mass Effect details possibly leaked in an online survey
- Phil Spencer promises a first-party-focused E3 offering from Microsoft
- Valve tackles phishing and scamming on Steam by requiring new users spend 5 USD to make use of all features
- Borderlands franchise director leaves Gearbox
- Blizzard announces a release date for Heroes Of The Storm and an open beta too
- Ultra Street Fighter IV coming to PS4 at the end of May