BioWare: Most MMOs lack fun
BioWare's Daniel Erickson has been very vocal in criticising the MMO genre for lacking real story.
Erickson told CVG in a recent interview that MMOs were missing a vital ingredient, namely storytelling, and that BioWare would change that with Star Wars: The Old Republic.
Erickson began: "In the early days when they first announced that there were MMOs, like the existence of them, I knew in my head what that meant - because I played Role Playing Games. It was just giant Role Playing Games. And then MMO [games] showed up, and it wasn't that. It was the ruleset to an RPG: There was combat, and there were areas, but that was all. Someone had left out the module. There was no story, there was no point. You just kind of wandered around. And that hasn't really changed all that much over the years."
This idea loomed large in the minds of the team creating The Old Republic. Erickson continues: "We've always had that thought in the back of our heads: That Old Republic should be all the things we thought an MMO would be in the first place - which is all the parts of an RPG. Which means - and this is the most radical idea - it should just be fun. Like, just fun to play. You shouldn't be trying to ignore all of the content to get to the end as fast as possible."
Hopefully The Old Republic will capture the spirit of Knights of the Old Republic and translate it well for the MMO arena.
Star Wars: The Old Republic is due out on PC some time after March 2011 according to EA.
- Possible dates for the Steam Summer Sale appear online
- Rise Of The Tomb Raider on Xbox 360 doesn't appear in Square Enix's financials for this year
- The Iron Banner returns to Destiny next week with new gear and rewards
- Titanfall developers Respawn won't be at E3 this year
- Destiny: Xur's location and stock for May 28th
- Destiny's Trials Of Osiris declared a success, Bungie bans cheaters
- FIFA 16 will throw women's teams into the mix
- New The Elder Scrolls Online trailer shows off the expansive world of Tamriel
- Batman: Arkham Knight gets a new 7-minute gameplay trailer