PS3 loses resolution for 3D
Sony's Liverpool Studio has confirmed that the PS3 will only render 3D games at 720p, and not 1080p.
Studio Liverpool's Simon Benson spoke to Digital Foundry about converting Wipeout HD from 1080p HD to 3D.
He said: "WipEout HD was originally 1080p at 60Hz - obviously a good foundation to start from but in making the 3D build of this we had to go for two 720p images."
"Because it was 60Hz we could just drop to 30Hz and in actual fact that was it," Benson added. "There was no more work to do. That worked. It took very little time getting the game into 3D; there were very few problems with WipEout."
This confirms the comments made by Ninja Theory's Tameem Antoniades earlier this month that the PS3 was not powerful enough to render 3D in full 1080p.
- Battlefield: Hardline beta rumoured to begin next week
- New Heart Of Thorns expansion announced for Guild Wars 2
- Wikipedia arbitration committee bans five feminist editors from commenting on feminist articles over GamerGate
- Ubisoft in the process of deleting game keys fraudulently-acquired by resellers from UPlay
- Gearbox is now recruiting for developers to work on Borderlands 3
- DayZ passes the 3 million sales mark on Steam Early Access
- Planetside 2 sets a new Guinness World Record for the most players in an online FPS game
- Homeworld remasters look stunning, will be released next month
- Riot Games in talks with European ISPs over building a dedicated League Of Legends network