PS3 loses resolution for 3D
Sony's Liverpool Studio has confirmed that the PS3 will only render 3D games at 720p, and not 1080p.
Studio Liverpool's Simon Benson spoke to Digital Foundry about converting Wipeout HD from 1080p HD to 3D.
He said: "WipEout HD was originally 1080p at 60Hz - obviously a good foundation to start from but in making the 3D build of this we had to go for two 720p images."
"Because it was 60Hz we could just drop to 30Hz and in actual fact that was it," Benson added. "There was no more work to do. That worked. It took very little time getting the game into 3D; there were very few problems with WipEout."
This confirms the comments made by Ninja Theory's Tameem Antoniades earlier this month that the PS3 was not powerful enough to render 3D in full 1080p.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3