Phil Spencer confirms that Rise Of The Tomb Raider is a timed Xbox exclusive
Microsoft's Xbox boss Phil Spencer has confirmed that Rise Of The Tomb Raider is indeed a timed-exclusive title.
The original announcement that the game was an Xbox exclusive managed to kindle a phenomenal amount of disdain when it was announced at Microsoft's Gamescom press conference yesterday but it looks that there is hope for PC and PlayStation Tomb Raider fans.
"When people want me to say, can you tell us when or if it's coming to other platforms, it's not my job,” Spencer explained. “My job is not to talk about games I don't own. I have a certain relationship on this version of Tomb Raider, which we announced, and I feel really good about our long term relationship with Crystal and Square.
"I have Tomb Raider shipping next holiday exclusively on Xbox. It is Xbox 360 and Xbox One,” he continued.”I'm not trying to fake anybody out in terms of where this thing is. What they do with the franchise in the long run is not mine. I don't control it. So all I can talk about is the deal I have. I don't know where else Tomb Raider goes.
"The deal has a duration,” Spencer added. “I didn't buy it. I don't own the franchise. It's a deal between us and the partner. People ask me how much did we pay. There are certain things I'm just not going to talk about because it's a business deal between us and then. Obviously the deal does have a duration. I didn't buy the IP in perpetuity."
Just don't hold your breath for Square Enix to announce versions for the PC and PS4 because it might not come until the game hits Xbox One and Xbox 360 at the end of 2015.
- Mad Max gets slated for a September release
- Console ports of Gone Home have been shelved by Fullbright
- Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain release date leaked, getting an autumn release
- Stealth Inc 2 is coming to PC, PlayStation and Xbox
- Frozenbyte announces Trine 3: Artifacts Of Power
- Epic has dropped the subscription fee for the Unreal Engine 4
- Rumour: DirectX 12 could allow mixing and matching of AMD and Nvidia GPUs
- No more online modes for Ridge Racer Unbounded in Europe
- Mortal Kombat X coming to mobiles as a free-to-play card battler