BBC goes interactive with the Spooks
The popular BBC prime-time espionage drama Spooks is to get a digital makeover by BBC Worldwide, who announced plans today to develop and publish a videogame based on the series. The title based on the BAFTA winning program will be created for the PC, Xbox and PS2 and is currently scheduled for a launch in the autumn.
The BBC's in-house studio Gamezlab will create this new game, and this is apparently the first time a BBC drama has spawned such a diversification. The game will allow players to control the series' MI5 agents in foiling a global conspiracy, as part of a script penned by the program's creator Steve Bailie. Locations both home and abroad will form a backdrop to the action, which will involve various spy-inspired activities such as code-breaking and tailing suspects.
The game's launch will be timed to coincide with the debut of the third Spooks series on BBC One, and Dave Lee, BBC Worldwide's Director of Multimedia, commented: "The rich and engaging world of Spooks makes ideal material for a game. Added to this, the support and contribution of the show's production team will help the development of a truly involving title that I expect to appeal to fans of the series as well as the wider computer gaming community."
This title will certainly be something of an exercise in toe-dipping from the BBC, and its success or failure will inevitably depend on how well it squares up to other titles in the genre. More as we get it.
- OnLive coming to Philips' new range fo Android-powered smart TVs
- Explore the rest of the solar system with Google's Destiny Planet View
- Dead Or Alive 5: Last Round coming to next-gen consoles
- Voting opens up for GamesAid's charity of 2014
- Nintendo promising a good 2015 with Zelda, Star Fox and Splatoon coming to Wii U
- Warframe comes to Xbox One today
- Over 2000 developers sign an open letter calling for the community to take a stand against harassment
- Classic PC survival horror series returns with Alone In The Dark: Illumination
- Resident Evil: Revelations 2 confirmed with a concept trailer