Modern Warfare 2 officially biggest launch ever
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 has made it into the Guinness Book of World Records as the highest grossing entertainment launch of all time.
Modern Warfare 2 took 242.4 million GBP on launch day, dwarfing every film released in 2009 and eclipsing the record set by GTA IV of 159 million GBP.
Microsoft of course had to get their contribution in too and unsurprisingly, third place was occupied by Halo 3, which took in 84 million GBP on its first day.
The editor of the Guinness Book of World Records: Gamer's Edition told GamesIndustry.biz: "Videogame releases such as the Call of Duty series have outperformed the launches of major Hollywood blockbusters for several years and the day-one sales for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 proved once again that video games have become cultural events in their own right."
- Visuals are key to the PS4's success according to Nielsen's latest survey
- Sledgehammer considering revisiting classic multiplayer maps for Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare
- New ToeJam & Earl game comes to Kickstarter
- Free login campaign announced as Final Fantasy XIV tops 4 million registered users
- Fable Legends will be free-to-play on both PC and Xbox One
- Bastion will hit the PS4 in April
- Sierra bringing Velocity 2X to Xbox One and PC
- This month is a triple-A bonanza for Xbox gamers on Games With Gold
- New House Of Wolves leak shows a Reef social hub for Destiny