Modern Warfare 2 officially biggest launch ever
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 has made it into the Guinness Book of World Records as the highest grossing entertainment launch of all time.
Modern Warfare 2 took 242.4 million GBP on launch day, dwarfing every film released in 2009 and eclipsing the record set by GTA IV of 159 million GBP.
Microsoft of course had to get their contribution in too and unsurprisingly, third place was occupied by Halo 3, which took in 84 million GBP on its first day.
The editor of the Guinness Book of World Records: Gamer's Edition told GamesIndustry.biz: "Videogame releases such as the Call of Duty series have outperformed the launches of major Hollywood blockbusters for several years and the day-one sales for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 proved once again that video games have become cultural events in their own right."
- First Nosgoth eSports tournament to begin next month
- Stealth Inc 2 trailer peeks it head out of the shadows
- The Crew beta launches on PS4 and Xbox One next week
- PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of Dying Light cancelled, Techland describes their development as painful
- Sony investigating issues resulting from the release of PS4 firmware 2.0
- New trailer makes Final Fantasy Type-0 HD look like the darkest Final Fantasy game yet
- Screenshot on the PlayStation Blog points to an Uncharted re-release on PS4
- EA gives a release window for Star Wars: Battlefront
- Activision announces details and a release date for Destiny's first DLC The Dark Below