Modern Warfare 2 officially biggest launch ever
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 has made it into the Guinness Book of World Records as the highest grossing entertainment launch of all time.
Modern Warfare 2 took 242.4 million GBP on launch day, dwarfing every film released in 2009 and eclipsing the record set by GTA IV of 159 million GBP.
Microsoft of course had to get their contribution in too and unsurprisingly, third place was occupied by Halo 3, which took in 84 million GBP on its first day.
The editor of the Guinness Book of World Records: Gamer's Edition told GamesIndustry.biz: "Videogame releases such as the Call of Duty series have outperformed the launches of major Hollywood blockbusters for several years and the day-one sales for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 proved once again that video games have become cultural events in their own right."
- Borderlands 2 writer leaving Gearbox to join Freddie Wong's RocketJump production company
- Bloodborne will be harder than Demon's Souls and features procedurally generated dungeons
- Hearthstone users pass the 75 million mark, new expansion on the way says new report
- Square Enix unveils the Final Fantasy Type-0 Collector's Edition
- Life Is Strange arrives today
- SEGA cuts jobs in the biggest strategic shift since they binned the Dreamcast
- Big new update arrives for Frozen Cortex
- Introversion's Prison Architect will see its full launch this year, mobile version announced
- Ken Levine's next game is a first-person sci-fi title