Modern Warfare 2 officially biggest launch ever
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 has made it into the Guinness Book of World Records as the highest grossing entertainment launch of all time.
Modern Warfare 2 took 242.4 million GBP on launch day, dwarfing every film released in 2009 and eclipsing the record set by GTA IV of 159 million GBP.
Microsoft of course had to get their contribution in too and unsurprisingly, third place was occupied by Halo 3, which took in 84 million GBP on its first day.
The editor of the Guinness Book of World Records: Gamer's Edition told GamesIndustry.biz: "Videogame releases such as the Call of Duty series have outperformed the launches of major Hollywood blockbusters for several years and the day-one sales for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 proved once again that video games have become cultural events in their own right."
- Report finds that the 100 USD tier of Assassin's Creed: Unity's microtransactions is completely unnecessary
- Final Fantasy Type-0 HD gets a new trailer
- Bungie deconstructs their latest Destiny patch, hints at what is coming next
- DayZ creator Dean Hall could join UK studio Improbable
- Shadow Of Mordor arrives on last-gen consoles
- David Braben apologises for ditching Elite: Dangerous's offline mode, outlines refund criteria
- Microsoft celebrates the 1st birthday of the Xbox One with free access to Sunset Overdrive
- Hacker group leaks account details for thousands of PSN, Origin, Windows Live and 2K Game Studios accounts
- RedLynx promises online multiplayer is coming to Trials Fusion early next year