Modern Warfare 2 officially biggest launch ever
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 has made it into the Guinness Book of World Records as the highest grossing entertainment launch of all time.
Modern Warfare 2 took 242.4 million GBP on launch day, dwarfing every film released in 2009 and eclipsing the record set by GTA IV of 159 million GBP.
Microsoft of course had to get their contribution in too and unsurprisingly, third place was occupied by Halo 3, which took in 84 million GBP on its first day.
The editor of the Guinness Book of World Records: Gamer's Edition told GamesIndustry.biz: "Videogame releases such as the Call of Duty series have outperformed the launches of major Hollywood blockbusters for several years and the day-one sales for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 proved once again that video games have become cultural events in their own right."
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3