Crytek unsure over demos
Crysis 2 developer Crytek could opt not to offer gamers a pre-launch taster of their new game, one senior executive claiming that demos are a "luxury" and very "expensive" to create.
"A free demo is a luxury we have in the game industry that we don't have in other industries such as film," boss Cevat Yerli told Develop. "Because we've had this free luxury for so long, now there are plans to change this people are complaining about it. The reality is that we might not see any free game demos in the long term."
Yerli wouldn't be drawn into revealing whether we can expect a Crysis 2 demo, the chief stating that no decision has been made.
"Whether we do have a demo or not, do I think companies need to release so many demos? I think that we'll see more and more games not carrying a demo in the future, because it becomes prohibitively expensive," he concludes.
- BioWare's David Gaider moves from Dragon Age to a new secret BioWare project
- Cross-Buy coming to Windows 10 and Xbox One staring with Zen Pinball FX2
- Bungie knew about Destiny's loot cave before launch
- This year's BAFTA Games Awards to stream live on Twitch, watch it here
- Harmonix confirms Rock Band 4 coming to next-gen consoles this year
- Wasteland 2 also coming to the PS4
- Block 'N' Load gets a final launch date
- Elite: Dangerous is a timed exclusive on the Xbox One, PS4 version is coming too
- Phil Harrison rumoured to be leaving Microsoft