Use CryEngine for free?
Crytek has announced that it plans to release a free-to-use version of CryEngine 3.
The move shadows that of Epic Games and Unity, whose current game engines have seen incredible growth of use since releasing free versions.
The free version of CryEngine 3 is crucial to Crytek's growth and will provide developers with a difficult choice to make when choosing a middleware solution.
Crytek head, Cervat Yerli, told Develop: "We have a very vivid community of users and modders and content creators, and usually that's a great way of unlocking the engine. That being said, it's not the same as what Epic or Unity are currently doing, but we are now pushing harder on this area. We did it before already, but we haven't pushed it that far yet."
- CD Projekt RED releases The Trail, the opening cinematic from The Witcher 3
- New Project CARS trailer pulls up to the starting grid
- Far Cry 4 dev says linear games will suffer in the new world of gameplay video sharing
- Almost 1,100 developers, students and journalists sign the new #gamediversity petition embracing diversity in games
- Felicia Day breaks her silence about #Gamergate, is almost immediately doxxed
- Ubisoft announces PC specs for Assassin's Creed: Unity and they're killer
- Dark Souls 2 could see a fourth pack of DLC released
- Far Cry 4 is all about player choice, has five endings
- Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare PC system specifications announced