Use CryEngine for free?
Crytek has announced that it plans to release a free-to-use version of CryEngine 3.
The move shadows that of Epic Games and Unity, whose current game engines have seen incredible growth of use since releasing free versions.
The free version of CryEngine 3 is crucial to Crytek's growth and will provide developers with a difficult choice to make when choosing a middleware solution.
Crytek head, Cervat Yerli, told Develop: "We have a very vivid community of users and modders and content creators, and usually that's a great way of unlocking the engine. That being said, it's not the same as what Epic or Unity are currently doing, but we are now pushing harder on this area. We did it before already, but we haven't pushed it that far yet."
- Stealth Inc 2 is coming to PC, PlayStation and Xbox
- Frozenbyte announces Trine 3: Artifacts Of Power
- Epic has dropped the subscription fee for the Unreal Engine 4
- Rumour: DirectX 12 could allow mixing and matching of AMD and Nvidia GPUs
- No more online modes for Ridge Racer Unbounded in Europe
- Mortal Kombat X coming to mobiles as a free-to-play card battler
- EA announces details of Battlefield: Hardline Premium
- Payday 2: Crimewave Edition to hit PS4 and Xbox One in the summer
- Valve and HTC partner up for the new SteamVR device the Vive