Use CryEngine for free?
Crytek has announced that it plans to release a free-to-use version of CryEngine 3.
The move shadows that of Epic Games and Unity, whose current game engines have seen incredible growth of use since releasing free versions.
The free version of CryEngine 3 is crucial to Crytek's growth and will provide developers with a difficult choice to make when choosing a middleware solution.
Crytek head, Cervat Yerli, told Develop: "We have a very vivid community of users and modders and content creators, and usually that's a great way of unlocking the engine. That being said, it's not the same as what Epic or Unity are currently doing, but we are now pushing harder on this area. We did it before already, but we haven't pushed it that far yet."
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3