Use CryEngine for free?
Crytek has announced that it plans to release a free-to-use version of CryEngine 3.
The move shadows that of Epic Games and Unity, whose current game engines have seen incredible growth of use since releasing free versions.
The free version of CryEngine 3 is crucial to Crytek's growth and will provide developers with a difficult choice to make when choosing a middleware solution.
Crytek head, Cervat Yerli, told Develop: "We have a very vivid community of users and modders and content creators, and usually that's a great way of unlocking the engine. That being said, it's not the same as what Epic or Unity are currently doing, but we are now pushing harder on this area. We did it before already, but we haven't pushed it that far yet."
- Harmonix announces A City Sleeps, their new music-driven shooter
- Shadow Of Mordor trailer introduces the unique orc character, Ratbag
- Saints Row IV coming to next-gen consoles
- Saints Row: Gat Out Of Hell is a new standalone expansion
- First details of Telltale's Game Of Thrones series arrive
- SEGA unveils the new definitive Total War: Rome II – Emperor Edition
- Prison Architect alpha build 24 arrives
- Bayonetta 2 gets a final release date
- Deep Down now delayed until 2015