Use CryEngine for free?
Crytek has announced that it plans to release a free-to-use version of CryEngine 3.
The move shadows that of Epic Games and Unity, whose current game engines have seen incredible growth of use since releasing free versions.
The free version of CryEngine 3 is crucial to Crytek's growth and will provide developers with a difficult choice to make when choosing a middleware solution.
Crytek head, Cervat Yerli, told Develop: "We have a very vivid community of users and modders and content creators, and usually that's a great way of unlocking the engine. That being said, it's not the same as what Epic or Unity are currently doing, but we are now pushing harder on this area. We did it before already, but we haven't pushed it that far yet."
- Wii U version of Project CARS may not be released
- Diversity and gay romance didn't hurt sales says BioWare's David Gaider
- Microsoft accidentally leaks a “placeholder” release date for Halo: ODST remaster
- Shipment of copies of Splatoon robbed en-route to the UK
- Mortal Kombat X not coming to PS3 and Xbox 360 in June
- Spiders' The Technomancer to debut at E3
- Dirty Bomb open beta is coming next month
- Ubisoft now emailing players to encourage them to finish their games
- Supremacy, Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare's next DLC coming to Xbox next month with added Bruce Campbell