Metal Gear Solid tie-ins excessive
Initially clever, the number of cross-promotional tie-ins within Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker has grown too high for it to be anything more than a trite example of poor in-game advertising.
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker is the PSP game to watch this year and Konami knows it. That's why the Japanese publisher has been promoting it heavily, even leveraging it for tie-ins with other popular games and other consumer products.
The game has crossed a line, however, with too many of these clever tie-ins. Cans of Mountain Dew and bags of Doritos can be used to heal Snake, while magazines Famitsu and Jump can be viewed for fun. You even have the option of wearing a t-shirt with the Axe body wash logo on it.
It's way too much marketing for Metal Gear and Konami needs to take a step back to think about its heavy-handed approach.
- Steam is awesome this weekend, Borderlands 2 and Dishonored freeplay and a massive 2K sale
- Peter Molyneux: “There is a brilliant game there in Godus that is going to bring people together”
- FIFA Ultimate Team cheaters be warned EA Sports is coming for you
- #welovegamedevs Twitter campaign appears as an antidote to this week's unpleasantness
- No branching narratives for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
- Spa hotlap video arrives for F1 2014
- Phil Fish puts Polytron and Fez up for sale and quits Twitter after multiple hacks
- The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter gets a PC release date
- Sony schedules PSN maintenance for Monday