Wii tops console cash haul
A majority of game revenues are generated by Nintendo's Wii, beating Xbox 360 and nearly doubling the cash taken in by Sony with its PS3.
Gamasutra has summarised an incredibly detailed report from firm Ibis Capital that reports a staggering 47% of revenue from 2009's $30 billion console game sales is generated by Wii sales alone.
That's significantly higher than the 35% captured by Xbox 360 and well over twice the 18% held by PS3.
Ibis anticipates minor shifts in these percentages in 2010, particularly in light of its 40 billion USD revenue forecast - a huge increase from 2009. In short, they predict you're going to spend more money on console games this year than last.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3