Wii tops console cash haul
A majority of game revenues are generated by Nintendo's Wii, beating Xbox 360 and nearly doubling the cash taken in by Sony with its PS3.
Gamasutra has summarised an incredibly detailed report from firm Ibis Capital that reports a staggering 47% of revenue from 2009's $30 billion console game sales is generated by Wii sales alone.
That's significantly higher than the 35% captured by Xbox 360 and well over twice the 18% held by PS3.
Ibis anticipates minor shifts in these percentages in 2010, particularly in light of its 40 billion USD revenue forecast - a huge increase from 2009. In short, they predict you're going to spend more money on console games this year than last.
- Borderlands 2 writer leaving Gearbox to join Freddie Wong's RocketJump production company
- Bloodborne will be harder than Demon's Souls and features procedurally generated dungeons
- Hearthstone users pass the 75 million mark, new expansion on the way says new report
- Square Enix unveils the Final Fantasy Type-0 Collector's Edition
- Life Is Strange arrives today
- SEGA cuts jobs in the biggest strategic shift since they binned the Dreamcast
- Big new update arrives for Frozen Cortex
- Introversion's Prison Architect will see its full launch this year, mobile version announced
- Ken Levine's next game is a first-person sci-fi title