Monumental closes doors in Manchester
UK-based MMO developer Monumental Games has been forced to close its Manchester studios.
The studio closure comes as Monumental missed out on a 180,000 GBP grant awarded to them in 2008 because they failed to meet the conditions of the award by not hiring enough staff within a two year time frame.
Monumental COO, Paul Mayze, told Develop: "[This was a] very difficult business decision that wasn't taken lightly."
As to the question of the 23 staff that were employed at the Salford Quays office, Mayze said: "We are looking to keep some staff, we are doing what we can, but there's a lot of factors in play."
This is the second UK studio to announce staff cuts this week after Dundee's Denki Games was forced to shed nearly 20 jobs after failing to secure a publisher for their latest title, Quarrel.
- New Overwatch videos show off Hanzo and McCree
- Tychus loses his cigar for his appearance in Heroes Of The Storm
- Capcom details the Ultra Street Fighter IV PS4 upgrades
- Codemasters releases a teaser for F1 2015
- Total War: Arena gameplay unveiled
- Warner Bros bringing Batman's cowl and cape from Batman: Arkham Knight to MCM Comic-Con this weekend
- Red Thread gives an update on Dreamfall Chapters Book Three
- Sony releases a pretty 1080p gameplay video of God Of War III on PS4
- Techland shelves Hellraid to focus on Dying Light