New Metroid was on-rails shooter
Metroid: Other M wasn't always meant to be a hybrid side-scrolling 3D action game - the original concept detailed an on-rails shooter.
Speaking at GDC, producer Yoshio Sakamoto described how the upcoming Metroid game was pitched as a shooter with "invisible walls." In other words, you'd explore levels with a limited range of motion: an on-rails shooter.
Of course, that plan changed and Metroid: Other M now possesses a unique structure that has you explore levels with the Wii Remote held sideways and then flip it forward to combat enemies in the first-person perspective.
Also changed: female protagonist Samus Aran's hair colour. Initially a brunette, Team Ninja bleached it blond. Metroid: Other M will be available for Wii this summer.
- Microsoft doubles down for April's Games With Gold
- Every wondered what it would be like in James Bond and Joanna Dark met? Cara Ellison and Irene Koh have answered that question
- Dirty Bomb beta is back online
- Obsidian's saviour Pillars Of Eternity launches today, Watch it streamed live here later today
- Infinite Crisis launches fully today on Steam
- Here's what the new Hunters and the Behemoth for Evolve look like in action
- Blood and Burning and Celts Culture DLC Packs arrive for Total War: Attila
- F1 2015 coming to PC, PS4 and Xbox One this summer, first screenshots released
- Ubisoft introduces Alex Parizeau, the new head of Ubisoft Toronto