GAME closing 43 stores
GAME have confirmed that they are set to close 43 stores across the UK.
The closures include 12 branches of GAME, six Gamestation stores and all GAME concession stores in Debenhams.
In total the closures affect 247 members of staff although GAME claims that they will do their best to find other positions within the chain for as many of these as possible.
A representative from GAME told Edge Online: "We regularly review our entire store portfolio, including our concessions, to maximise the opportunities to reach customers while also ensuring that the business is running as effectively as possible."
The statement continued: "As a result of this review process, and the tougher market conditions that we face in 2010, we have announced our intention to close 12 Game stores, 6 Gamestation stores, and all 25 of our concessions in Debenhams stores. In each location, we have detailed plans to support the customers and employees."
Of the staff it added: "We will provide extensive support to the teams in each store. However, with deep regret, we have had to offer redundancy to 247 employees. We will do our utmost to redeploy roles if possible, and have started consulting with all affected employees in the 43 sites.
- Elite creator David Braben to be honoured with this year's BAFTA Fellowship
- The date's out but Konami reveals the Collector's Edition of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
- New Steam Link hardware unveiled by Valve, Steam Controllers dated
- Valve announces the Source 2 engine
- Bethesda announces Wolfenstein: Old Blood a prequel to The New Order
- OlliOlli 2 devs Roll7 troll the game's Twitter critics
- DayZ creator teams up with Improbable to make the game worlds he's always wanted
- Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster coming to the PS4 in the summer
- [Update] Possible March PS Plus Instant Game Collection line-up appears on NeoGAF