25 million users now on Steam
Valve's PC content delivery platform Steam now boasts an incredible 25 million users, active in the service's community and purchasing first and third-party games.
During 2009, user numbers were up 25 percent over 2008, with a record 2.5 million users active during one heavy session. Monthly player minutes now top a mind-boggling 13 billion.
"Steam turned five years old in March 2009," beams Valve's Gabe Newell. "With the introduction of each new platform feature released over the years - such as the Steam Community, Steam Cloud, and Steamworks - we've seen corresponding growth in account numbers, concurrent player numbers and developer support for the platform.
"As such, we plan to continue to expand and grow the platform to better serve the developers supporting the open platform and millions of gamers logging in each day."
Major games like Modern Warfare 2 have been delivered to players in digital form via Steam.
- Valve's Chet Faliszek has been confirmed as the first developer session for EGX Rezzed 2015
- One area from Zelda Wii U is as big as the entirety of Skyward Sword
- Telltale's new collaboration is with Mojang, on a Minecraft story game
- Franklin voice actor indicates GTA V story DLC is on the way
- Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire and Bully sequels will come when the time is right says Rockstar
- Telltale teases another collaboration with another game developer
- New Company Of Heroes 2: Ardennes Assault trailer recognizes the 70th anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge
- New Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare trailer focuses on character customization
- Splash Damage's free-to-play shooter Dirty Bomb coming to Steam in the new year