25 million users now on Steam
Valve's PC content delivery platform Steam now boasts an incredible 25 million users, active in the service's community and purchasing first and third-party games.
During 2009, user numbers were up 25 percent over 2008, with a record 2.5 million users active during one heavy session. Monthly player minutes now top a mind-boggling 13 billion.
"Steam turned five years old in March 2009," beams Valve's Gabe Newell. "With the introduction of each new platform feature released over the years - such as the Steam Community, Steam Cloud, and Steamworks - we've seen corresponding growth in account numbers, concurrent player numbers and developer support for the platform.
"As such, we plan to continue to expand and grow the platform to better serve the developers supporting the open platform and millions of gamers logging in each day."
Major games like Modern Warfare 2 have been delivered to players in digital form via Steam.
- Steam is awesome this weekend, Borderlands 2 and Dishonored freeplay and a massive 2K sale
- Peter Molyneux: “There is a brilliant game there in Godus that is going to bring people together”
- FIFA Ultimate Team cheaters be warned EA Sports is coming for you
- #welovegamedevs Twitter campaign appears as an antidote to this week's unpleasantness
- No branching narratives for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
- Spa hotlap video arrives for F1 2014
- Phil Fish puts Polytron and Fez up for sale and quits Twitter after multiple hacks
- The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter gets a PC release date
- Sony schedules PSN maintenance for Monday