25 million users now on Steam
Valve's PC content delivery platform Steam now boasts an incredible 25 million users, active in the service's community and purchasing first and third-party games.
During 2009, user numbers were up 25 percent over 2008, with a record 2.5 million users active during one heavy session. Monthly player minutes now top a mind-boggling 13 billion.
"Steam turned five years old in March 2009," beams Valve's Gabe Newell. "With the introduction of each new platform feature released over the years - such as the Steam Community, Steam Cloud, and Steamworks - we've seen corresponding growth in account numbers, concurrent player numbers and developer support for the platform.
"As such, we plan to continue to expand and grow the platform to better serve the developers supporting the open platform and millions of gamers logging in each day."
Major games like Modern Warfare 2 have been delivered to players in digital form via Steam.
- Visuals are key to the PS4's success according to Nielsen's latest survey
- Sledgehammer considering revisiting classic multiplayer maps for Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare
- New ToeJam & Earl game comes to Kickstarter
- Free login campaign announced as Final Fantasy XIV tops 4 million registered users
- Fable Legends will be free-to-play on both PC and Xbox One
- Bastion will hit the PS4 in April
- Sierra bringing Velocity 2X to Xbox One and PC
- This month is a triple-A bonanza for Xbox gamers on Games With Gold
- New House Of Wolves leak shows a Reef social hub for Destiny