25 million users now on Steam
Valve's PC content delivery platform Steam now boasts an incredible 25 million users, active in the service's community and purchasing first and third-party games.
During 2009, user numbers were up 25 percent over 2008, with a record 2.5 million users active during one heavy session. Monthly player minutes now top a mind-boggling 13 billion.
"Steam turned five years old in March 2009," beams Valve's Gabe Newell. "With the introduction of each new platform feature released over the years - such as the Steam Community, Steam Cloud, and Steamworks - we've seen corresponding growth in account numbers, concurrent player numbers and developer support for the platform.
"As such, we plan to continue to expand and grow the platform to better serve the developers supporting the open platform and millions of gamers logging in each day."
Major games like Modern Warfare 2 have been delivered to players in digital form via Steam.
- Trine series sells 7 million copies, Frozenbyte releases user-creation tools
- Lots of teary-eyed gamers as more Star Wars: Battlefront 3 gameplay footage leaks out
- Jade Raymond leaves Ubisoft Toronto to pursue new opportunities
- Ryse: Son Of Rome scores Best Game Design award at the Animago Awards in Germany
- Activision releases the launch trailer for Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare a little early
- Rockstar won't be holding a beta for GTA Online on the PC
- UK to toughen up laws on internet harassment
- Final Fantasy XIV Heavensward expansion announced for release next year, first screenshots released
- Driveclub issues persist as players report trouble downloading the latest patch