25 million users now on Steam
Valve's PC content delivery platform Steam now boasts an incredible 25 million users, active in the service's community and purchasing first and third-party games.
During 2009, user numbers were up 25 percent over 2008, with a record 2.5 million users active during one heavy session. Monthly player minutes now top a mind-boggling 13 billion.
"Steam turned five years old in March 2009," beams Valve's Gabe Newell. "With the introduction of each new platform feature released over the years - such as the Steam Community, Steam Cloud, and Steamworks - we've seen corresponding growth in account numbers, concurrent player numbers and developer support for the platform.
"As such, we plan to continue to expand and grow the platform to better serve the developers supporting the open platform and millions of gamers logging in each day."
Major games like Modern Warfare 2 have been delivered to players in digital form via Steam.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3