Xbox One unlikely to get backwards compatibility with the Xbox 360 through streaming
Product planning director for the Xbox One, Albert Penello has more-or-less put the final nail in the coffin of any hopes of streaming-powered backwards compatibility for Xbox 360 titles, for now at least.
While Penello conceded that being able to stream 360 games to the Xbox One would be “really cool” he explained that it had proven “really problematic” as it is limited very much by the quality of the internet connection that the Xbox One user has.
"It's really cool and really problematic,” he began, “all at the same time, insofar as it's really super cool if you happen to have the world's most awesome internet connection. It works way better than you'd expect it to. So managing quality of service, the tolerance people will have for it being crappy. Can you imagine, in this day and age, with the bad information around, and we can't control the quality of that experience and make sure it's good, or have to tell people they can't do it?"
Penello added, "It was a grand experiment, I know we did a lot of work behind it, and we said this is one of the things where the network just has to get better before we can do it. When that happens, you're going to have a really interesting conversation around that, can I actually run Xbox One games that way as well."
Meanwhile, Sony will begin rolling out streaming of PS3 titles to the PS4 via their Gaikai framework during 2014.
- Underworld Ascendant makes its Kickstarter goal with room to spare
- Rare is 30, has something special coming in recognition of the anniversary
- Destiny will get one more update before House Of Wolves arrives
- Warner Bros to bring DC MOBA Infinite Crisis to Steam
- Gabe Newell: No-one gets motion-sick with the Vive VR headset
- NPCs can now be mugged in The Elder Scrolls Online
- Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander passes Square Enix Collective and heads to Kickstarter
- Zombie Army Trilogy shambles onto PC and next-gen consoles
- Sony aiming to release Project Morpheus in 2016