Xbox One unlikely to get backwards compatibility with the Xbox 360 through streaming
Product planning director for the Xbox One, Albert Penello has more-or-less put the final nail in the coffin of any hopes of streaming-powered backwards compatibility for Xbox 360 titles, for now at least.
While Penello conceded that being able to stream 360 games to the Xbox One would be “really cool” he explained that it had proven “really problematic” as it is limited very much by the quality of the internet connection that the Xbox One user has.
"It's really cool and really problematic,” he began, “all at the same time, insofar as it's really super cool if you happen to have the world's most awesome internet connection. It works way better than you'd expect it to. So managing quality of service, the tolerance people will have for it being crappy. Can you imagine, in this day and age, with the bad information around, and we can't control the quality of that experience and make sure it's good, or have to tell people they can't do it?"
Penello added, "It was a grand experiment, I know we did a lot of work behind it, and we said this is one of the things where the network just has to get better before we can do it. When that happens, you're going to have a really interesting conversation around that, can I actually run Xbox One games that way as well."
Meanwhile, Sony will begin rolling out streaming of PS3 titles to the PS4 via their Gaikai framework during 2014.
- Thomas Was Alone gets a release date for PS4 and Wii U
- New Warframe update adds space-flight to the gameplay with Archwing mode
- New poll indicates that people believe online gaming is “the least welcoming space” for women
- CD Projekt RED releases The Trail, the opening cinematic from The Witcher 3
- New Project CARS trailer pulls up to the starting grid
- Far Cry 4 dev says linear games will suffer in the new world of gameplay video sharing
- Almost 1,100 developers, students and journalists sign the new #gamediversity petition embracing diversity in games
- Felicia Day breaks her silence about #Gamergate, is almost immediately doxxed
- Ubisoft announces PC specs for Assassin's Creed: Unity and they're killer