3 billion apps in a year and a half
Since its launch 18 months ago, Apple's iPhone and iPod touch App Store has clocked in 3 billion downloads many of which are games - the most recent billion registering in the 3 months since the end of September.
To say that Apple has momentum when it comes to digital downloads is an understatement. The App Store has proved a tremendous success, particularly with games, which make up a significant portion of those sales.
On average 10 million apps have been downloaded per day since the end of September to move Apple from the 2 billion mark.
This is big news for portable gaming where Apple is on the verge of dominating the market. Strong sales of iPod touch and the development community's embrace of the platform could spell trouble for PSP and DS in the year ahead.
- Elite devs Frontier lays off staff and effectively closes their Canadian studio
- Monstrum system specs announced
- Ever wonder what a week's worth of internet abuse looks like for Feminist Frequency's Anita Sarkeesian?
- The Witness's puzzles are finished but there is still plenty of work to be done on the game
- Dragon's Dogma Online announced for release in Japan
- Life Is Strange episodes will release six weeks apart
- Reptile is returning in Mortal Kombat X
- New Xbox One Controller firmware update will cut the connection time in half
- Battlefield: Hardline beta rumoured to begin next week