3 billion apps in a year and a half
Since its launch 18 months ago, Apple's iPhone and iPod touch App Store has clocked in 3 billion downloads many of which are games - the most recent billion registering in the 3 months since the end of September.
To say that Apple has momentum when it comes to digital downloads is an understatement. The App Store has proved a tremendous success, particularly with games, which make up a significant portion of those sales.
On average 10 million apps have been downloaded per day since the end of September to move Apple from the 2 billion mark.
This is big news for portable gaming where Apple is on the verge of dominating the market. Strong sales of iPod touch and the development community's embrace of the platform could spell trouble for PSP and DS in the year ahead.
- Ultra Street Fighter IV coming to PS4 at the end of May
- Ubisoft to publish Homeworld Remastered Collection at retail next month
- Journey, Flower and FlOw heading to the PS4 in a retail package
- Phil Harrison's departure from Microsoft has been confirmed
- Here's the first look at Star Wars: Battlefront
- Project CARS will feature 110 courses across over 30 iconic locations
- Gratuitous Space Battles 2 arrives today
- First Star Wars: Battlefront details arrive including a release date
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt's release date is now set in stone