3 billion apps in a year and a half
Since its launch 18 months ago, Apple's iPhone and iPod touch App Store has clocked in 3 billion downloads many of which are games - the most recent billion registering in the 3 months since the end of September.
To say that Apple has momentum when it comes to digital downloads is an understatement. The App Store has proved a tremendous success, particularly with games, which make up a significant portion of those sales.
On average 10 million apps have been downloaded per day since the end of September to move Apple from the 2 billion mark.
This is big news for portable gaming where Apple is on the verge of dominating the market. Strong sales of iPod touch and the development community's embrace of the platform could spell trouble for PSP and DS in the year ahead.
- Merry Christmas from Play.tm!
- Microsoft offering some excellent Games With Gold in January
- New Battlefield: Hardline Karma trailer arrives
- Mystery Of The Mooil Rig DLC arrives for Sunset Overdrive
- Destiny registered users approaching 13 million
- STALKER devs GSC Gameworld reopens its doors
- Free game reward for Assassin's Creed: Unity users requires them to reliquish their right to sue Ubisoft
- Respawn wishes Titanfall had been released on Steam
- Team Junkfish's procedural survival horror Monstrum to return to Steam Early Access