3 billion apps in a year and a half
Since its launch 18 months ago, Apple's iPhone and iPod touch App Store has clocked in 3 billion downloads many of which are games - the most recent billion registering in the 3 months since the end of September.
To say that Apple has momentum when it comes to digital downloads is an understatement. The App Store has proved a tremendous success, particularly with games, which make up a significant portion of those sales.
On average 10 million apps have been downloaded per day since the end of September to move Apple from the 2 billion mark.
This is big news for portable gaming where Apple is on the verge of dominating the market. Strong sales of iPod touch and the development community's embrace of the platform could spell trouble for PSP and DS in the year ahead.
- Possible dates for the Steam Summer Sale appear online
- Rise Of The Tomb Raider on Xbox 360 doesn't appear in Square Enix's financials for this year
- The Iron Banner returns to Destiny next week with new gear and rewards
- Titanfall developers Respawn won't be at E3 this year
- Destiny: Xur's location and stock for May 28th
- Destiny's Trials Of Osiris declared a success, Bungie bans cheaters
- FIFA 16 will throw women's teams into the mix
- New The Elder Scrolls Online trailer shows off the expansive world of Tamriel
- Batman: Arkham Knight gets a new 7-minute gameplay trailer