3 billion apps in a year and a half
Since its launch 18 months ago, Apple's iPhone and iPod touch App Store has clocked in 3 billion downloads many of which are games - the most recent billion registering in the 3 months since the end of September.
To say that Apple has momentum when it comes to digital downloads is an understatement. The App Store has proved a tremendous success, particularly with games, which make up a significant portion of those sales.
On average 10 million apps have been downloaded per day since the end of September to move Apple from the 2 billion mark.
This is big news for portable gaming where Apple is on the verge of dominating the market. Strong sales of iPod touch and the development community's embrace of the platform could spell trouble for PSP and DS in the year ahead.
- Hearthstone win-traders will be permanently banned says Blizzard
- Evolve Big Alpha delayed on PS4 due to issues with system update 2.0
- Your PC will need this much power under the hood to play The Crew
- LittleBigPlanet 3 will be fully backwards-compatible
- PS4 sales soar past the 13.5 million mark
- Resogun is coming to the PS Vita
- Smaller, cooler Xbox One processor in the works
- Prey 2 finally gets officially canned
- SEGA confirms the rumoured PC version Valkyria Chronicles, gives a release date