Sony: PS3 motion controller not 'Gem'
Word on the street this afternoon has it that the name of the PlayStation 3's motion controller is 'Gem' - that's according to the latest suggestion from EA boss John Riccitiello.
Speaking at the UBS 37th Annual Global Media Conference yesterday, the big cheese apparently slipped up, referring to the new motion control device by 'Gem'.
"In the coming year, both Sony and Microsoft have announced new controllers. Motion sensor controls, Natal and Gem, these are likely to bring new consumers into the marketplace," Riccitiello offered.
Sony were quick to issue denials, stating that "no name for PlayStation motion controller has been announced," but it seems the cat could already be out of the bag.
What do you make of the name Gem? Thanks IGN.
Update: Sony have issued a second statement today, explaining where the name 'Gem' comes from, and hinting that this won't be the final title of the product. "The term Gem was an early code name for the product," big cheese Patrick Seybold tells Kotaku. "We haven't announced a final name at this point."
- Valve's Chet Faliszek has been confirmed as the first developer session for EGX Rezzed 2015
- One area from Zelda Wii U is as big as the entirety of Skyward Sword
- Telltale's new collaboration is with Mojang, on a Minecraft story game
- Franklin voice actor indicates GTA V story DLC is on the way
- Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire and Bully sequels will come when the time is right says Rockstar
- Telltale teases another collaboration with another game developer
- New Company Of Heroes 2: Ardennes Assault trailer recognizes the 70th anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge
- New Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare trailer focuses on character customization
- Splash Damage's free-to-play shooter Dirty Bomb coming to Steam in the new year