Guitar Hero could go subscription-based
Rumour has it that Guitar Hero could soon shift to a subscription-based business model, similar to popular MMO games like World of Warcraft.
Speaking with The Seattle Times, Red Octane executive Kai Huang moots the idea of an ongoing subscription replacing the current approach to downloadable tracks and other DLC.
"That's definitely one of the things we would love to do. There are a lot of issues around music licensing. Customers want it. I know I want it. We're trying to make that happen," Huang told the newspaper.
Huang is obviously confident - and this approach might be one way of locking in players to the series, while at the same time bucking a trend that has seen music game sales stagnate.
- Hearthstone win-traders will be permanently banned says Blizzard
- Evolve Big Alpha delayed on PS4 due to issues with system update 2.0
- Your PC will need this much power under the hood to play The Crew
- LittleBigPlanet 3 will be fully backwards-compatible
- PS4 sales soar past the 13.5 million mark
- Resogun is coming to the PS Vita
- Smaller, cooler Xbox One processor in the works
- Prey 2 finally gets officially canned
- SEGA confirms the rumoured PC version Valkyria Chronicles, gives a release date