Guitar Hero could go subscription-based
Rumour has it that Guitar Hero could soon shift to a subscription-based business model, similar to popular MMO games like World of Warcraft.
Speaking with The Seattle Times, Red Octane executive Kai Huang moots the idea of an ongoing subscription replacing the current approach to downloadable tracks and other DLC.
"That's definitely one of the things we would love to do. There are a lot of issues around music licensing. Customers want it. I know I want it. We're trying to make that happen," Huang told the newspaper.
Huang is obviously confident - and this approach might be one way of locking in players to the series, while at the same time bucking a trend that has seen music game sales stagnate.
- Harmonix announces A City Sleeps, their new music-driven shooter
- Shadow Of Mordor trailer introduces the unique orc character, Ratbag
- Saints Row IV coming to next-gen consoles
- Saints Row: Gat Out Of Hell is a new standalone expansion
- First details of Telltale's Game Of Thrones series arrive
- SEGA unveils the new definitive Total War: Rome II – Emperor Edition
- Prison Architect alpha build 24 arrives
- Bayonetta 2 gets a final release date
- Deep Down now delayed until 2015