Activision call MW2 launch 'biggest ever'
An unsurprisingly buoyant Activision have described the release of Modern Warfare 2 as the "biggest entertainment launch" of all time - the firm expecting huge initial sales of the FPS.
Many UK stores opened at midnight to sell the title, while 750,000 pre-orders have been taken in Britain alone, Activision expecting first week sales of three-million units.
A glitzy premier was held in Leicester Square to celebrate the title's arrival, with celebrities including Dom Jolly, Goldie, Vernon Kay, Matthew Horne and more in attendance.
At the aftershow party, hip-hop star Dizzee Rascal performed, Activision clearly keen to push the significance of this launch beyond the typical videogames audience. There was even a "camouflage" carpet, complete with fans and cameras.
Modern Warfare 2 is out now. We'll bring you more soon.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3