Activision call MW2 launch 'biggest ever'
An unsurprisingly buoyant Activision have described the release of Modern Warfare 2 as the "biggest entertainment launch" of all time - the firm expecting huge initial sales of the FPS.
Many UK stores opened at midnight to sell the title, while 750,000 pre-orders have been taken in Britain alone, Activision expecting first week sales of three-million units.
A glitzy premier was held in Leicester Square to celebrate the title's arrival, with celebrities including Dom Jolly, Goldie, Vernon Kay, Matthew Horne and more in attendance.
At the aftershow party, hip-hop star Dizzee Rascal performed, Activision clearly keen to push the significance of this launch beyond the typical videogames audience. There was even a "camouflage" carpet, complete with fans and cameras.
Modern Warfare 2 is out now. We'll bring you more soon.
- Trine series sells 7 million copies, Frozenbyte releases user-creation tools
- Lots of teary-eyed gamers as more Star Wars: Battlefront 3 gameplay footage leaks out
- Jade Raymond leaves Ubisoft Toronto to pursue new opportunities
- Ryse: Son Of Rome scores Best Game Design award at the Animago Awards in Germany
- Activision releases the launch trailer for Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare a little early
- Rockstar won't be holding a beta for GTA Online on the PC
- UK to toughen up laws on internet harassment
- Final Fantasy XIV Heavensward expansion announced for release next year, first screenshots released
- Driveclub issues persist as players report trouble downloading the latest patch