Courtney Love angry over Cobain GH5 role
Speaking to UK blog VG247, Courtney Love's attorney has explained why the widow of deceased rocker Kurt Cobain is angry about the use of his likeness in Guitar Hero 5.
Publisher Activision claim that they received all the appropriate rights and licenses before using the Nirvana legend in their music title, but Love apparently disputes this, and is upset that the game sees Cobain playing other artists' tracks.
"You are correct in stating that Ms. Cobain is extremely upset at Activision's use of Mr. Cobain's image in a video game allowing him to sing songs of others. Kurt's songs have a unique and special meaning to his fans and his image and legacy is extremely important to Ms. Cobain," reads a statement from Love's legal eagle.
"Activision's statement is not accurate in suggesting that they were given an unfettered use of Kurt's name and likeness. The agreement Activision has with the trust doesn't grant them the right to use his name and likeness in ways that denigrate his image. We are demanding the trust take appropriate action to protect Mr. Cobain's image and would hope Activision would do so on its own accord and prohibit users of the game from singing songs of others."
More on this tussle as it develops.
- BioWare's David Gaider moves from Dragon Age to a new secret BioWare project
- Cross-Buy coming to Windows 10 and Xbox One staring with Zen Pinball FX2
- Bungie knew about Destiny's loot cave before launch
- This year's BAFTA Games Awards to stream live on Twitch, watch it here
- Harmonix confirms Rock Band 4 coming to next-gen consoles this year
- Wasteland 2 also coming to the PS4
- Block 'N' Load gets a final launch date
- Elite: Dangerous is a timed exclusive on the Xbox One, PS4 version is coming too
- Phil Harrison rumoured to be leaving Microsoft