Michel Ancel starts his own studio, remains at Ubisoft Montpellier for “select projects” like Beyond Good And Evil 2
Rayman creator Michel Ancel has started a new indie developer called Wild Sheep but he will remain with Ubisoft Montpellier as well.
Ubisoft has emphasized that Ancel will remain with the Assassin's Creed publisher/developer to lead some selet projects like the perennially delayed Beyond Good & Evil 2.
Head of Ubisoft's studios in Annecy, Paris and Montpellier, Xavier Poix, said, "We are fortunate to have some of the industry's finest talents, including Michel Ancel, working with us at our studio. In addition to spending some of his time on this new venture, Michel is leading the creative development of select projects at Ubisoft Montpellier, including an extremely ambitious new title that is very close to his and the team's heart."
Ubisioft later elaborated on the title that is “very close” to Ancel's “and the team's heart" saying, "In many ways, BG&E is an inimitable game - it appeals to all generations of gamers and is an inspiration behind many of Ubisoft Montpellier's past and future games. It's still far too early to give many details about this new title, but what we can say is that while Michel and the team at Ubisoft Montpellier are working with the core tenets of BG&E, they're developing something that aspires to push past the boundaries of a proverbial sequel and leverages next-gen technologies to deliver a truly surprising, innovative and exceptional game. The entire team is excited about the direction this extremely ambitious project is taking, and we'll have more to share later, as it progresses."
Hopefully this means that Beyond Good & Evil 2 is due to be announced sometime in the vaguely near future.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360 after all
- Tomonobu Itagaki's Devil's Third gets a release date
- Adr1ft is coming to PC and consoles at the end of the summer
- EA gives the new Mirror's Edge a name – Mirror's Edge Catalyst
- ZombiU PS4 and Xbox One port reportedly in the works
- Mike Bithell's Volume to be released this August
- Gearbox's new shooter Battleborn gets a pre-E3 trailer
- Steam Controller launches in October, Steam Machines arrive in November
- Gears Of War devs Black Tusk change their name to The Coalition ahead of E3