Michel Ancel starts his own studio, remains at Ubisoft Montpellier for “select projects” like Beyond Good And Evil 2
Rayman creator Michel Ancel has started a new indie developer called Wild Sheep but he will remain with Ubisoft Montpellier as well.
Ubisoft has emphasized that Ancel will remain with the Assassin's Creed publisher/developer to lead some selet projects like the perennially delayed Beyond Good & Evil 2.
Head of Ubisoft's studios in Annecy, Paris and Montpellier, Xavier Poix, said, "We are fortunate to have some of the industry's finest talents, including Michel Ancel, working with us at our studio. In addition to spending some of his time on this new venture, Michel is leading the creative development of select projects at Ubisoft Montpellier, including an extremely ambitious new title that is very close to his and the team's heart."
Ubisioft later elaborated on the title that is “very close” to Ancel's “and the team's heart" saying, "In many ways, BG&E is an inimitable game - it appeals to all generations of gamers and is an inspiration behind many of Ubisoft Montpellier's past and future games. It's still far too early to give many details about this new title, but what we can say is that while Michel and the team at Ubisoft Montpellier are working with the core tenets of BG&E, they're developing something that aspires to push past the boundaries of a proverbial sequel and leverages next-gen technologies to deliver a truly surprising, innovative and exceptional game. The entire team is excited about the direction this extremely ambitious project is taking, and we'll have more to share later, as it progresses."
Hopefully this means that Beyond Good & Evil 2 is due to be announced sometime in the vaguely near future.
- Dark Souls 2 could see a fourth pack of DLC released
- Far Cry 4 is all about player choice, has five endings
- Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare PC system specifications announced
- Evolution adds more multiplayer events to Driveclub as they continue to work on the game's server issues
- Rockstar announces a San Andreas 10th Anniversary event this weekend for GTA Online
- Dead Or Alive 5: Last Round gets a release date
- Unfinished Swan to hit the PS4 and PS Vita next week
- Gamersgate.com CEO emphasizes that they have nothing to do with #Gamergate
- Microsoft announces the feature list for the November Xbox One update